Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the first things I noticed about my car when I drove it off the lot was that the stock horn was not only weak but embarrassing. Has anyone upgrade to a "better" sounding horn and how hard was the install. Who makes a good universal/focus horn?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
^^^ if my horns die, i will be getting those for sure.

i upgraded mine due to the stock one dying on me, to a cheap set of air horns from checkers for $27!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I put a couple air horns on. GOt them at a auto parts store for $15.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Can one of you who installed the air horn take some pics of its place ment and maybe a quick write up of how you installed it?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
its super simple, its just a matter of figuring out which wire is which to the horn (hot, and ground) and then following the directions in the kit you bought.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ NICE..... hey, you ever wait till someone comes by your car, and when you're away at a distance or hiding around a corner, hit the alarm button to set off the real horn?? [:D] ah hell that's so much fun. I bet with those they'd scare the crap out of anyone. lol!

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
I upgraded to Hellas. Theyre badass!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
link to vid our soundclip of hellas?

·
Registered
275 Posts
man i seen those on an sti a while back and i thought it was twin turbo... i feel stupid now... :/

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
^^ NICE..... hey, you ever wait till someone comes by your car, and when you're away at a distance or hiding around a corner, hit the alarm button to set off the real horn?? [:D] ah hell that's so much fun. I bet with those they'd scare the crap out of anyone. lol!
This is exactly why I had the installers skip that part and only hook up the alarm to the alarm horn (for lack of a better word). I live in a "snooty" neighborhood and if that air horn when off at 2 am, I can garantee we would be evicted the next day. Good thing I did too, they didnt install the alarm correctly the first time and it would go off just for kicks and giggles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using an air horn over the standard electric horn. The air horns can take a few seconds for all the tubing to be pressurized before the horns actually make any noise. I have both air and electric horns in my Focus. I have the air horns wired to a separate switch in the dash and kept my original horns intact. I put them behind the grille and painted them flat black so they couldn't be seen. Just mount them so water, dirt, bugs, etc won't get stuck in them as you're driving.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There is a train horn conversion you can get for your car...its about 160 decibels....pain threshold...LOUD. They had it on the news a few months back, but can't remember the details.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Air horns do take time to actually go off, because the compressor is pretty small, however if you shorten the tubing as much a possible it is excellent. My horns are very close to my compressor thus the tubing is short giving me a better response.

I did have a delay between the stock and air horn, but when i shortened the tubing the delay is practically gone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I mounted the compressor on the core support behind the passenger headlight and ran the tubing through the grill to my horns. This was the best mounting spot I could come up with that didn't involve having to jack the car up if something went wrong. Also, the compressors aren't very well made so keeping them above the elements in a good idea IMO. I have the tubing as short as I can get it, its fine with me.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
i never cut off any tubing when i install my airhorns they're mounted on top of the rad support and the compressor is mounted on the drivers side fender, the time it takes to make some noise isn't very long. but i also have my stock horn wired into the same switch (steering wheel) so i guess that worked out well too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts