Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,416 Posts
Going to repair my car this weekend. The honk worked yesterday but not today.

How would you clean the contacts? Is an air can from Dollarama enough? I got the grease already.
Unplug replug many times did it for me plus electrical contact cleaner...(you can find it at Maddison/Addison even Canadian Tire)

----->>>>>>http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-electrical-contact-cleaner-150-g-0381740p.html

If you want to put grease use Silicone grease (dielectric) nothing else...

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Did this this afternoon...

Removed the RF Tire, unfastened the inner wheel well cover, and then removed the lower right splash cover and the FR trim piece that mounts to the bumper cover.

A couple of rounds of:
A. douse both male and female halves of the connector with Contact Cleaner.
B. Insert / Separate M and F halves numerous times to wipe / scrape away accumulated corrosion and debris.
C. A respectable dab of silicone dielectric grease in the contact area of the connector.

Works like a charm!

Note to others: Easy to test whether it works by pressing the "panic" button on the key / remote. But, take my word for it...do so AFTER you stand up (or at least remove your head from directly underneath the RF corner of the car!)

DAMHIK! [nono] Ears are still ringing 90 minutes later....

Also...another note to others.

It's "highly" likely that removing the RF Tire and the Inner Wheel Well cover are unnecessary to access the Horn / Harness / Driving Lamp area. Don't know why I was convinced that I needed to do so...in retrospect, I'm 99% certain that I could have avoided this...and saved 30 minutes in the process. [thumb] Lesson learned...
Going to repair my car this weekend. The honk worked yesterday but not today.

How would you clean the contacts? Is an air can from Dollarama enough? I got the grease already.
as mentioned from above can of electrical contact cleaner. a small tube of dielectric grease and patience... dont ever use anything from the dollar store on the electrical of your car unless you dont mind blown fuses fires and possibly burning out stuff.

being your in quebec and the nasty storm you guys have i wouldn't be surprised if the horns are just frozen they have a nasty habit of collecting water that freezes and prevents the horn from working I don't even bother with mine as it usually comes back when i park the car in the garage or when it gets warmer..

P.S. to the one way up saying use the panic button to test the horn... just hit lock twice at least you wont piss off the neighbors with an alarm tone.. the beeps from the lock are so common no one really notices but set the alarm off yeah pissed off neighbors time[hatchet]

Reactions: ELCouz

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks all.

I went to the dollars store and bought one can of compressed air.

The biggest part of the job was to remove the shield and put it back.

1- Removed the front splash shield and the middle screws from the back shield. Found out I am missing the middle bracket that hold both shields. No big deal.
2- Disconnected the horn and put it back solved the problem right away.
3- I had ordered the horn already in case it was really broken (30$ CAD)... And since the original one was rusted badly, I installed the new one instead of returning it to the dealer. Removed the bolt, the zip tie and put the new one in place. Torqued at 23 Nm the bolt as per the specs.
4- I've put dielectric grease on the female connector that I got at my job. Pushed the connector in - heard a click so all good.
5- Put back everything in place, road test.

You only need to jack the front passenger side. There's no need for both side.

Took 2 hours total from setup to put back the tools in the chest.

The car sleep inside ArcticMynx. The horn was kind of funky at -20C already. It was a question of time I guess.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
welcome to Canadia, the worlds biggest RUST BELT!! roadsalt + connectors = havoc

everything acts funky at -20 including me... (grabs my coffee)

·
Focus Preacher
3,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So my horn was not working. 2014 focus. I jacked the car up undid the front of the splash guard unplugged the horn, plugged it back in and now it works. Very easy fix lol. I did however discover that the lower of the two horns, the one that the plug connects too,has broken off from the bracket.

Anyone here who is good at finding part numbers happen to know the number for the horn bracket. My horn is just laying on the skid plate right now.

Sent from my SM-G920T using FF Mobile
If you arrange the shipping for me to you, I could send you the bracket of my old horn I just replaced.

The horn is rusted a bit but the mount look like it can still be used. I would ship only the mount.

Attachments

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
If you arrange the shipping for me to you, I could send you the bracket of my old horn I just replaced.

The horn is rusted a bit but the mount look like it can still be used. I would ship only the mount.
I appreciate that man, i think i'm just going to leave it for now though. i'm not to worried about it. [cheers]

·
Registered
3 Posts
so went to lock my car today and horn doesnt work. alarm doesnt sound when you push the button as well as you push the horn on the steering wheel it doesnt sound. went to ford and the service tech said its a common problem with the new fords...

anyone else have this problem?
I have the same problem with my 2014 Ford Focus too.

·
Focus Preacher
3,416 Posts
Did you follow the guide (with picture and detailed steps) we took time to post on this thread?

This is a 15 minute fix. Cost you nothing to try.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
try unplugging and cleaning the connector for the horn. it worked for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My horn on my 2013 Focus SE went out a couple months ago and I tried replacing the relay to no avail. I still have no horn. Are there any other alternatives as to what it could be?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My horn on my 2013 Focus SE went out a couple months ago and I tried replacing the relay to no avail. I still have no horn. Are there any other alternatives as to what it could be?
This is a common problem. Simply unconnect the horn and reconnect it 2-3 times. Also apply dielectric grease on the contacts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for all the info you shared. I had the same problem, horn not working with either the steering wheel or key fob.

I did what everyone said, disconnected the horn connector, cleaned with electrical cleaner, a brass brush, and a metal pick, then dabbed on some dielectric grease and it's back and working.

2014 Ford Focus w/ 70k miles in SW Michigan.

I only had to disconnect the lower power connector, and left the top one alone. I never had to disconnect the horn, just unplugged it. I also just drove the car up on ramps, and worked from there. Remove the felt, and the splash shield and I could see it clearly.

Overall it took about an hour, but was really easy to do.

Thanks again for all the help,

Jojo

Reactions: ProjectCommuter

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI 2012 model guys, you can remove the right triangle grill and access the horn from there. You don't need to remove the splash protection or even get under the car. I'm not sure about the recent model (if you can do this).

·
Registered
11 Posts
2012 SEL, 180K The horn went out....not sure, maybe a year or two ago..three? Don't care..I never use it.

My daughter is doing driver ed and they "require" a horn as part of a safety check (don't ask me why, honking your horn is inviting either the bird or for some nutjob to assault/kill you for no reason. Besides nobody can hear the horn anyway because their stereos are cranked). But I digress..

anyway, being a teenager I was only told of this requirement the night before her 7AM driving test. So off to the auto store..

After I disassembled the horn I found that the "sealed" connectors on both horns were completely corroded. I mean they were gone.

I cut the original wire harness and spliced an aftermarket horn on the car. $16 and 20 minutes rolling under the car an a sheet of cardboard. Good enough for gov't work.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Worked for me. Thanks ??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life. This happened to me so I followed what the previous poster said and it worked.

1. Check if fuse is broken (F20)

2. Check if relay makes a clicking noise

3. Removed the plastic triangle bumper piece to gain access to the horn, unbolt the bracket, took the horn out and cleaned the contacts of the connector with a wire brush, inserted and removed a half dozen times, applied some anti seize or dielectric grease and then tested the horn from a distance away. Hardest part was removing the triangle piece (be care not to scratch your paint job LOL) but with some careful and patient prying takes it off. I guess I could have jacked the car up and removed the felt but I didn’t feel like crawling under a car this afternoon.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
157 Posts
this has happened to me a couple of times first time it worked after i reset the Driver Door Module with forscan when i was trying to sort out why my drivers power fold mirror was not folding, the other reconnecting the horn plug, we don't have the panic button on our fobs in the uk or honking when it locks, you can also check with forscan if the horn relay is working, i did manage to find a new horn on ebay so i have a spare, but yeah no need to remove the splash shield just carefully unclip the triangle trim and easy access

81 - 99 of 99 Posts