Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2002 Focus ZTS new in June of 2002, and just found this forum today! I now have 109,000 trouble free miles on this 2002 Focus (knock wood).

I discovered just a few weeks ago, while staying in a motel with the car parked right outside the front door, that the horn honks briefly (half a second honk) every so often when the doors are locked.

Is this a normal function of the factory security system? Or is there a problem with the security system?

Thanks,
Tom

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Welcome to the site Tom.

I've never hard of that before... My horn honks when I press the button on the keyfob to LOCK the doors, but it doesn't honk after that... maybe a faulty fuse?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
actually, I know on some cars, if your car is locked, but say a window, trunk, hood, or sunroof is open; the horn will honk to let you know that the security system is compromised. Dunno if Foci do that,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This brief honk occurs once about every 45 to 60 minutes. Not quite sure, I have not timed it. We usually don't lock the car at home - live in a rural area. Occasionally the wife will lock it, and then after I go to bed I hear the honk. I will lay there in the dark waiting for the next one. I finally get up and walk outside, use the fob to unlock the doors, and go back to bed.

All doors are shut, windows up, hood latched, no sunroof. Its outside in the company parking lot now, probably honking every now and then, making passersby wonder a bit!

Tom

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
wow... never heard of this.. maybe you should hook up a switch to the horn relay or something.. that way, when you park it you can turn the horn off...lol

sounds like a weird problem to me... maybe it's a loose connection, or something is wrong with the keyless entry. just my guesses

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I know whats wrong. Your car is just lonely. She wants attention. Go out and drive her around a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drive it around a bit? No, not that!

I've put 109,000 miles on it in less than four years. I already feel like I live in it!

Next time I park in a motel parking lot, I just park in front of someone else's room.

Or maybe not. I wouldn't want to come outside in the morning to find that someone has pried the hood open and ripped out the horn!

Tom

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
lol, I drive mine quite a bit too, maybe not that much though. 7000+ miles in what, 4 months.

You could always disconnect the horn, it's not like you're gonna use it, lol

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
i never use mine. People in my town just give me angry looks whenever I use it. It's too [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g wimpy sounding. Stupid cheapass horn

In the Porsche on the other hand, even with its dinky horn, people usually notice it. Thats cuz if they don't notice the horn, I just gun the engine and they take notice.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
babyface said:
i never use mine. People in my town just give me angry looks whenever I use it. It's too [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g wimpy sounding. Stupid cheapass horn

In the Porsche on the other hand, even with its dinky horn, people usually notice it. Thats cuz if they don't notice the horn, I just gun the engine and they take notice.
[offtopic]
Go purchase yourself a new F-150 horn Matt, but it might take some clever rigging to get it installed. It shouldn't be much larger than the Focus horn. The sound will be though. I used to scare people with an F-150 horn in a little 83 RX-7. People never pay attention to the little horns, but they will notice truck horns.

Back on topic

Try holding the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob for 3 sec while you're close to the car. The car will beep. This makes it so that when you push the unlock button it unlocks all the doors at once. Now, do it again to set it back so that only the driver's door unlocks, and you have to push unlock twice to unlock the other doors. Maybe this will make the computer shape itself up. Otherwise it's hard to tell what the issue is without testing the auto-door Locks.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
oh yeah, sorry for jacking your thread bro

free bump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts