Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nted White Letters&partnum=135R7DDR&tab=Specs

eh maybe i ought to put it in the drag racing section but whatever. i cant remember right off hand what is the maximum tire height we can run in the mk1? im in winter time part accumulation mode, preparing for summer and i think these might be winners for next year. im boosted and will likely be well over 400whp/wtq and will be running 17x9 wheels with flares all the way around. traction is going to be the dream i will chase for as long as i still own this car now. just wondering if anyone has experience with these tires and what they thought. are they any good on the street at all? this car will never be driven in any conditions but warm and dry if i can help it anyway so wet and snow useage is N/A. how quick do they wear out on the street? if its way too fast i will likely keep them for track days only. ive been stressing for awhile over what wheels and tires to run on the street vs on the track and if i can simplify things by using these then i will be happy.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I've had these on a Camaro once and you will not be able to run these on the street. They would wear awfully, and run you all over the road, street traction isn't the greatest with most drag radials. Track, they are a PHENOMENAL tire.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
they have a utqq of 40. they would probably wear out (and/or overheat) in 100miles.

also they would be near impossible in wet weather.

they are likely similar to their autox tire. I don't drive them on the street. the furthest I've gone is a few mile to the gas station.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what is the maximum height of a tire that can be run on the mk1?

we have established that these arent good tires for street use, period. so i will continue looking for a streetable dot radial or just run regular summer tires and deal with it.

and for the record it would be simple common sense that these would be rubbish and outright dangerous in anything except for very dry warm conditions

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
tallest tire i could recomend is 25" (which was the 225/45R17)
tallest tire i hesitate to recomend is 25.2" (which was 255/40R17) it barely fit, there was a fair bit of cutting to fit under the flares.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I run a 235/45/17 on the front for my car, a good summer tire in that size should do well. I don't think you will find a tire that is flat out great for racing and the street, the best you'll honesty get is a real stick steet radial to drive on the streets.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it will probably wind up being the bfg-gforce ta drag radials or nitto 555s. those are two of the stickiest street tires ive ever used. no danger in the corners and a minor increase of hydroplane risk and they would stick "okay" at the track and the street. they just wear out so freaking fast with street driving.

thanks for the heads up on the tire height. i was hoping i might squeeze a 26in tire in there even though i figured that would be reaaaly pushing my luck. guess im going to have to back it down to the 275 instead of the 315

1 - 7 of 7 Posts