Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Lol I drug a cone thru a whole set up... Won an award...

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Drove my sister's 95 beater Jeep Grand Cherokee to school today. after work=turn off AWD and use RWD to the advantage! lol

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Most of the REALLY stupid stories end up with a broken car.

Hint: ALWAYS leave yourself an "out" if traffic doesn't do what you expect.

Like if you're catching up to traffic FAST on a nice wet fresh asphalt road (slick), don't leave your braking too late - they MIGHT just decide to stop suddenly to WAIT for oncoming traffic before turning left.

This can leave you no-where to go except a nice wide muddy ditch. Then something catches the LF tire, popping it & ripping the suspension so it pushes the fender/fenderwell back lightly into the door so it's hard to open... And a small tree dents the front bumper/grille, something dents the oil pan....

Then the Dealer writes it up as a total so your folks can buy a replacement from them instead of having a repaired car... (ENGINE? for a dent in the pan??)

Be careful in H.S.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Most of the REALLY stupid stories end up with a broken car.

Hint: ALWAYS leave yourself an "out" if traffic doesn't do what you expect.

Like if you're catching up to traffic FAST on a nice wet fresh asphalt road (slick), don't leave your braking too late - they MIGHT just decide to stop suddenly to WAIT for oncoming traffic before turning left.

This can leave you no-where to go except a nice wide muddy ditch. Then something catches the LF tire, popping it & ripping the suspension so it pushes the fender/fenderwell back lightly into the door so it's hard to open... And a small tree dents the front bumper/grille, something dents the oil pan....

Then the Dealer writes it up as a total so your folks can buy a replacement from them instead of having a repaired car... (ENGINE? for a dent in the pan??)

Be careful in H.S.
Lol yep. This is just a silly thread for dumb experiences and stuff haha

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Some lessons you don't forget, that was the ONLY time to push it until too close to traffic. Most crazy driving when learning was far away from anything.

Big old Merc. had drum brakes & no power to them, so two footing it became the
"power" brakes. Only good for one stop from speed.

Go fast around 90* corners & loose a hubcap or two, steel wheels flexed that much!

390 would get 'er going pretty well!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We should start a league...

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, I’m an old guy, but I’ve got a few funny drifting stories… In this one, my buddy Kev and I were running an Alley Rally. If you’ve never heard of one, they’re generally illegal, but loads of fun. They’re run at night through the alleys in the business districts of larger cities (and, I should add, the surrounding residential areas…). They’re usually run in the dead of winter and you often have to deal with snow and ice.

In this one, we were in my Jetta on four studded Hakkas, so I had plenty of car control. Kev called “Left, NOW” and I made the turn onto a very icy, narrow residential street. Just as I straightened up the car, he said “Crap, I called that too soon!” We were coming up on an intersection, but we didn’t know if the road from the right connected to the one we needed, so I decided to do a U-turn. When we reached the intersection; I went right, cranked the wheel left and grabbed the e-brake. The car pivoted perfectly, but in the middle of the turn a police car appeared at the STOP sign on the right. I made a wild guess that I might be able to make it look like I had tried to do a left, but lost control… So, I released the e-brake, causing the Jetta’s arc to increase and it slid gently up against the curb.

The cop hit his lights, stopped in the middle of the intersection, rolled down his window and asked: “You guys all right?” I said, “Yes officer, we’re fine, but it sure is slick out here.” He switched off his lights, told us to be careful and drove off. Kev and I were laughing so hard that I had a hard time driving back to the main street. ;^)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts