Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i am brand spanken new here so sorry if I ask a dumb questions. I just got a new 2003 zx3 with the 6 disc cd changer and I have no idea about electronics but i tried to install a amp and a sub woofer but the RCA cable that runs from the amp to the stereo doesn't hook up to the stereo, I have no idea about things when it comes to electronics, but some of my friends say i need a RCA converter or something like that, I was wonderring what do i need to get this thing hooked up and were can Buy it maybe a website or something. I am completly in the dark on this one, I don't have alot of money and I went cheap on my sub and amp, I got them at wall-mart, I dont really care if their crap i just want the stuff to work. So your help would be appreciated greatly thank you.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
you need a line out converter. Since you said you have RCA's from the amp already, I'm assuming you don't have a high level connection on the amp, just the low levels (RCA). You can get the line out converter at www.crutchfield.com shouldn't cost you much. Then you'll need to splice the rear speaker leads to the line out converter, and hook the RCA's to the other side.

Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and if I'm wrong just let me know. But you do have a power kit correct? As in a power cable from the battery to the amplifier? If not you should pick up an amp wiring kit also. Good luck, and ask any more questions and we'll see what we can do for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
just thought i'd mention i wouldn't go with cruthfield if your looking for something cheap, the last time i checked they only have something for $30 plus shipping, my suggestions for cheap but quality line out converters:

for about $9 shipped - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15520651&St=2600&St2=76656221&St3=79434715&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15718&DID=7

for about $11.50 shipped - http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-51F

the davidnavone ones are better quality and is probably a better choice for only $3 or so, i suggest that one. from aprts express i get my items shipped to me at my door through ups the next day if i place my order before 1 pm or so. davidnavone is a little slower when i ordered from them, i got it in about 4 days sicne it's shipping from cali. i live in michigan by the way, partsexpress ships form ohio. if you really wanted something better i could give you the n7v for $25 shipped. ( http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-7V ). thought i'd just mention it even though it's probably a little more than your looking to spend, it's just sitting around because i got a new hu after using it for a week. hope that info helped.

- Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so i will need to splice the wire with purple pin stripe, the gray with white pin stripe, the white and gray wires? So i will be losing my rear speakers right? I just neeed some reassurence before i go snipping away at the wires in my car. Thanks for the Help

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
if you splice them you can still have both, basically it will go from one wire to two wires. That's how mine is done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey i have another question, when i connect them what is the best way just twisting them and then wrapping electicte tape them together or with the little plug thingys (i know i have the lingo wrong), i read the soddering them was the best but i dont have a soddering gun, what to do what to do, thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool thanks for all the help, your great

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok how would i go about splitting the wires, how would i do that without screwing up my system, sorry i am totally new at this

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
since your new at ths it might be a good idea to disconnect the negative battery post, it's safer. second, i'd suggest splicing the wires instead of using crimp connectors because your screwed if you ever want to go back to the old radio or put it back to stock to sell. use a razor to cut out a small section about a 1/4" long. then use something pointed to seperate the wire in half, strip the wire on the line out/level converter about a 1/2 inch using a wire stripper or razor and twist it, put that wire in between the split wire that is correctly matched, and tiwst that excess wire of the line out converter around the stock wiring tightly and then then tape it good with electrical tape. let me know if you have any more questions.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
why not just use the electrical connectors, ya know the ones where you put the three bare ends in the end and twist until snug, that seems to be the simplest method to me, course you'd need some extra wire to do it, but then it doesn't involve cutting any stock wiring.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
if you strip the ends of the stock wiring, and then take equivalent wire, two of them, and strip the ends off that and then tie it all together with an electrical connector, you have then taken one in and two out. Effectively multiplying the number of wires without having to reduce the wiring

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
that's basically what i was saying i think, i said just strip the wires and part the wire in halfs and stick the bare wire from the LOC in the middle and twist it and put electrical tape on it. so then there's no cutting or reducing of the stock wiring.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
more or less [:)] I was splitting the stock wire in half, I was adding two seperate pieces using the connector...Hell it really doesn't matter, either way works just fine. And both are pretty much the same, I just think you get better connection with an electrical connector.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts