Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im planning on getting a front mount intercooler.

And i was wondering what kind of piping will i need to hook it up. the kit i bought was ment to be hooked up to a svt, so what kind of piping is needed? i perfer to use procharger pipping. unless i can find the exact piping size and bends.... no cheap brand please...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If you contact Tom, 1turbo focus he will make you custom piping all the way up to your TB. He did that for me. Here is what it looks like:

Here is the FMIC with my old piping:

New piping from FMIC on up to the TB:

On to the TB with a 3" MAF and a BOV:

He did an excellent job on the piping.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Also the only difference from the SVT piping is the pipe to the TB. If I remember correctly you can use everything else but the pipe to the TB has to be different. You can also use the AEM CAI upper pipe also but I wouldn't run it like that forever. This is what it looked like when I first used my AEM CAI upper pipe:

The prob with this setup is that the MAF is too close to the bend of the pipe and Tom says you need to have the bend at least 6 inches away from the MAF.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ha all you guys with turbos..... watch out, I'll swap to SVT and turbo it [:D] other than that though, I was kinda curious about the piping, good to know Tom does that as well....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thisdude, so when turbo tom did your piping, you actually got a bov? on it, just like a turbo? fully function? and what is the benefit of a bov on a procharger?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha all you guys with turbos..... watch out, I'll swap to SVT and turbo it [:D] other than that though, I was kinda curious about the piping, good to know Tom does that as well....
ahahah, we are not turbos, we are superCHARER... PROCHARGER

·
Registered
235 Posts
thisdude_05, how much of the fender needs to be notched out to run piping like yours? It looks like a decent chunk was chopped out in your application to clearance the piping. I want to run my turbo piping that way, just never got a clear angle of the "notch" required for pipe fitment.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Not much at all man. If I had to guess i took out about a 3 x 5 in chunk. I will measure it out tomorrow or take some better pics of what I did so you can see.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
thisdude, so when turbo tom did your piping, you actually got a bov? on it, just like a turbo? fully function? and what is the benefit of a bov on a procharger?
Yeah he welded a BOV flange on the piping. There is a thread somewhere on here about a blow through MAF setup which is what I have now. Read up on it. I will look around for it too. Give me a min...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this guy, this a little off topic, but i remember you mention about your svt header swap... you said you had to replace that line that came close to the header.... why? what is the risk of not bending it/

do you got the link of that thread, so i can take a look at it/.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Here is some info on the BOV....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144022&highlight=BOV

There are mixed reviews about the BOV on a Procharger but I like the BOV and it's not very loud at all. It just blows the excess air into the atmosphere cuz once you are off throttle, the air has to be released or it will stay in your charge piping and wear the seals out in the PC. You have to adjust the BOV correctly though so it stays open long enough to let the air out.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
To answer your question about the SVT header swap....that line is the power steering line. The SVT power steering line, which is what I put in, sits higher than the ZX3 line. The SVT header puts out ALOT of heat and has been known to blow the powersteering line up.

You can bend it if you want but you can only bend it so far and I don't know if it will be far enough away from the header to prevent it from blowing. There's a few guys on here that bent theres and have had no probs but there are alos others that have blown their line from the heat.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thisdude, with all said with the bov and blow threw, the bosch surge valve act the same so we wouldn't have to get a bov but a forge one would be better then the plastic/.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but what i just stated would lead me back to my original question about hte front mount. if i dothe front mount i would have to get a new pipping there for wouldn't be any room for that surge before the intercooler, it would have to be after the intercooler.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i just did a front mount install on my procharger i was able to use all the stock piping with it! i cut the piece that has the relief valve on it and used that section before the intercooler

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can put the surge before the intercooler, I have it set up exactly like that on mine.
After having run the procharger with a bypass valve I would highly recommend sticking with a bypass over a bov.
The reason being, the Procharger blows a HUGE amount of air even at idle, let alone cruising speeds, and a bov remains closed at part throttle/cruising whereas a bypass will be open at idle/part throttle. The large amount of air being blown at idle/part throttle makes me suspect that running a bov would eventually damage the headunit.
Ultimately its your call, but I know there's plenty of guys that would highly recommend against running a bov on a Procharger.
For my setup, I just used a silicone 90 degree bend off the headunit, into a 6 inch pipe with a 1 inch "T" on it, this runs into a 45 degree silicone elbow which connects to the intercooler.
Here's a link to the pipe I used: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Type-H-RFL-BOV-B...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
For the record, I had to buy this because I didn't have any of the stock piping with my kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts