Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Your cable is snapped. That little circle that's made it's way up the cable should be attached to the outer cable casing, and that is what allows the cable inside to apply pressure to the lever to unlock it.

Service should be responsible for replacing that cable if the hood was working when you dropped the car off, and tell them to send the car back to the bodyshop and fix the hood for your trouble.

THe arrows in the attachment show the parts I'm speaking of.

The dust is knocked off the bracket because that's where the "hat" that allowed the cable to work used to seat before it was broken off. [shameful]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Service should be responsible for replacing that cable if the hood was working when you dropped the car off, and tell them to send the car back to the bodyshop and fix the hood for your trouble. ...
Responsible for doing and competent to do the work are different. I'd be wary about letting them do anything else to the car if it were mine.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Took me 2 minutes from the bottom with my hand. The idiots never pulled the tray to try.

Reach between the fan and motor angling from the driver side. Just above the spring you can hit the lever and pop your hood. ...
Next time I have the tray off to do an oil change I plan to practice doing this with the hood open so I can see what I'm doing. Should be easier then if I ever have to do it blind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your cable is snapped. That little circle that's made it's way up the cable should be attached to the outer cable casing, and that is what allows the cable inside to apply pressure to the lever to unlock it.

Service should be responsible for replacing that cable if the hood was working when you dropped the car off, and tell them to send the car back to the bodyshop and fix the hood for your trouble.

THe arrows in the attachment show the parts I'm speaking of.

The dust is knocked off the bracket because that's where the "hat" that allowed the cable to work used to seat before it was broken off. [shameful]
Is the lever you pull with your hand from underneath shown by the circle in Slo86GT's photo above? I will be performing this maneuver on my 2012 SEL when I get home from work this evening. Not looking forward to it. The inside release has not worked for about 2 months now and I need to change the oil. Thanks in advance for the description.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Gunna be rough to get at!

That lever is above and a little more centered from the throttle body, and the fans, intake manifold, etc are all RIGHT there.

I'll see if I can get a good downward shot from my car tonight to show what you'd have to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got is popped thanks to lowflyn's description and your pic. Thanks! As described about 2 minutes after car jacked and bottom panel removed. One thing though, it set the alarm off as soon as it popped. Might startle you if not expecting it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Glad to see this thread helped someone else.

My giant burnout marks are still at the dealer. Left them when delivering the "tools" in my Cobra. Went by this past weekend. I melted quite a bit of asphalt so my mark is pretty permanent.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue. Vehicle returned from dealer and the hood wouldn't open. Release turned out to be unattached. So. The photo is from under the car, as stated previously, come from the driver's side. Push on the latch towards the pass side and shell pop right open. Glad this post exists.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad you got it opened, but it seems to me you should call them and demand they fix it properly as well as all the dents, since you would not have been in the predicament if their techs hadn't messed the car up to begin with. I know mistakes happen, but if they were responsible, they should have to fix it. If they refuse, maybe raise Cain and threaten to report them to the largest local news outlet in the area. My father in law did that years ago and they fixed his issue to shut him up.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
I've had to fix both my MK3's (SE and now ST) with a pair of zip ties to hold that cable and keep it wedged in the little fork that allows it to pop correctly. Cheap, easy, more durable than stock fix. The SE, I broke when working on something. The ST I noticed when I did the symposer delete. I imagine the dealer tech broke it doing the wiring harness recall fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issue now. Tried what was in the thread but still can't get it open. Does anyone have any close up pics to go from? My arm can't fit either.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Photos help, but looking at the real thing in 3D is better. If you can find another Focus anywhere (dealer, neighbor, co-worker, stranger at gas station, ...) that you can look at from above with the hood open it will be easier to see what you have to do and how to reach it from below when you have the bottom pan/air shield removed.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
In order to reduce the chances of my plastic cable sheath collar breaking as shown in the above photos, I pulled the cable sheath out of the guide clips that are built into the steel crossmember just to the right (viewed from the front of the car looking toward the engine) of it. They force the cable into a position that adds stress in a way that looks to me would force the plastic collar to break sooner or later. Unclipping the sheath allows it to straighten out, releasing the sideways tension on the tip ("hat"of the collar). To keep the end in place with that tension removed, and even if the "hat" breaks off anyway, I wrapped two cable ties around the end of the cable and bracket in an "X" pattern.

Never would have known I needed to do that without this thread, so thanks to lowflyin for starting it and to Slo86GT for the markup on the photo of the broken collar. [loveff]

·
Registered
1 Posts
David P

First of all based on the way it is designed it is unlikely that the cable would break or come out of it' "socket". Remove the knob & panel inside the car and the two screws that hold the mechanism in place. Tilt it so the cable sheath comes out of its socket. Give the whole thing a tug. Problem solved. Turns out the collar on the plastic thingy on the latch end of the cable broke off & the plastic thingy came out of the bracket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ford focus broken hood latch cable

It was a pain to pop open the hood but I had to pop off the grille then slide my hands between the plastic of theradiator support and the hood. (it was a far strech then move the hood release. its best if you research a few pics of how the hood latch is situated

21 - 37 of 37 Posts