Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I sold my xB, the Hood Ride style was starting to make it's way onto the scene. I have kept an eye on some of the threads dedicated to the style over on some of the Scion forums and the look is starting to grow on me... I guess I'll go ahead and give it a shot, over the winter, and see just how junk I can make my car look.

I just took a grinder to the hood instead of using stripper so that I can get some deeper, controlled rusting. Once the rust starts setting in really well, I'll clear coat it.

I'll be picking up some roll-on chalkboard paint over the weekend, as I think that is the color scheme I'll go with for the majority of the car.

Show some love and hate!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
shouldve kept the scion if you wanted to ruin a car

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
There have been a few Foci that did the rusted hood and IMO I like it, because it's different. I tend to think it looks better on cars that are pretty decked out to begin with, like body kits, wheels and such, then throw on a rusty hood. It kinda makes the fad make more sense.....if that makes sense.

A few have concocted solutions to speed up the rusting process and get a really neat orange rust. Such as bleach, or certain salts & vinegar and whatnot.

You're always going to get the argument that you're ruining it, or it looks stupid and whatnot, but whatever, it's your car. Go for it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been a few Foci that did the rusted hood and IMO I like it, because it's different. I tend to think it looks better on cars that are pretty decked out to begin with, like body kits, wheels and such, then throw on a rusty hood. It kinda makes the fad make more sense.....if that makes sense.

A few have concocted solutions to speed up the rusting process and get a really neat orange rust. Such as bleach, or certain salts & vinegar and whatnot.

You're always going to get the argument that you're ruining it, or it looks stupid and whatnot, but whatever, it's your car. Go for it!
I totally agree that it looks much better when there are other body mods done, and I have every intention of "leveling up" mine. Otherwise, on a car this old, it can be mistaken for a piece of shit that was not taken care of. I'll do a body kit after the chalkboard paint so that the bondo will clash.

Is there a good write-up on dropping the headliner in these cars? I cannot find one using the site search. I would like to do a nice zebra print...

Anyone have a fox or raccoon tail laying around? lol but srsly

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmm. So that means my hood that has started to rust is now a fad? I guess I should have kept my old Focus; that thing had rust all over it with even a couple holes.

No, I don't like the idea. It's one of those things that will come and go and leave you behind with a rusty car. It's just my opinion but you asked for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's one of those things that will come and go and leave you behind with a rusty car.
:) I agree. I will not do any major body panels rusty. Hoods are cheap enough at the scrap yard, anyway.

I plan on getting a new car before too long so, this will just be my work car. No loss if I can never sell it.

·
Got Bewst?
2,967 Posts
I like the look but I doubt I'd ever do it to my own car. Just couldn't go about ruining it like that, but done right I love the look... On others cars!

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
When done right I think it looks good. Especially when there is design incorporated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially when there is design incorporated.
When you say design, are you talking like a theme? If that's what you mean, I have only one pre-set idea. That being, something that my little girls will have a fun time riding in.

As I remember, riding with my parents as a young lad was a bear! no eating... no drinking.... no coloring.... nothing that would make a mess... blah! I think that I can maintain a good look, if you fancy the genre, all the while having somthing that my girls will love. That's the main reason for the chalkboard paint! ....What I wouldn't have given to have had my parents pick me up from daycare in a car sporting my own designs drawn on the side of their yellow headlighted, raccoon tail-sporting, rusty hooded, tinted windowed, zebra headlined, mufflerless hunk-o-junk... :)

·
Got Bewst?
2,967 Posts
When you say design, are you talking like a theme? If that's what you mean, I have only one pre-set idea. That being, something that my little girls will have a fun time riding in.

As I remember, riding with my parents as a young lad was a bear! no eating... no drinking.... no coloring.... nothing that would make a mess... blah! I think that I can maintain a good look, if you fancy the genre, all the while having somthing that my girls will love. That's the main reason for the chalkboard paint! ....What I wouldn't have given to have had my parents pick me up from daycare in a car sporting my own designs drawn on the side of their yellow headlighted, raccoon tail-sporting, rusty hooded, tinted windowed, zebra headlined, mufflerless hunk-o-junk... :)
Sounds like so much fun lol

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I think it requires an artful tatste to make work

Example A:

Boosted focus, F2 RS body kit, car looks amazing, the hood is just the center showpiece to top it off. This is a masterpeice, because of the amazing condition of the rest of the car, you know that the rusted hood is a fashion statement of sorts. Its artful.

Example B:

These cars are basically stock, and it appears that the whole car could use some TLC. Because of this, the hood doesnt contrast from the beauty of the car, it just enhances the fact that the car is a piece of shit.

Its my opinion that your car is going to fall into the example B range. A non-professional paint job in a flat color, combined with a rusted hood just sounds like a poorly executed disaster to me.

Im not going to love or hate, but i will say this, there is a very real stereotype for "ricers", and its not a good one. When you show up at a job interview, meet the parents of your girlfriend, meet new people, go anywhere, etc. The type of car you drive can be a big impression on the people you meet. Are you really going to be proud of driving a "junked" car?

Part of being successful in life is presenting yourself in a professional tasteful manner, and i can guarantee you that chalkboard paint with rust is probably going to be one of those pictures in your photo album that you want to hide.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm, well since you are asking for opinions...

I think the hood ride/ rat cars can be sweet. And I know the patina hoods are big in the euro tuning scene, i think. But I think there's a thin line between having a custom patina car that looks good that people like and having a true piece of sh!t that no one wants to look at. Plus, how old are your kids? Cause I know nowadays that it would probably be embarrassing to get picked up in a true "beater". I would suggest, stock body, hood rust, maybe some trunk rust, performance exhaust (not a cut off muffler), some nice wheels that are always kept clean, slam it super low, throw a roof rack with a fairing on top, attach a bicycle and sticker bomb it. That in my opinion would be the correct way to do what you're looking for. But hey, it's your car, do what you want. Have fun :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Shit don't make sense ...

Something like this:

Is perfect because it looks to be in neglected original condition (once owned by a gypsy).
Chromed/O2's car just looked half-assed, much the same as this 'rusty hood' trend in general ... cars that have a perfect body/paint and only a rusty hood. WTF for?

It's your car, do as you wish. But don't expect any 'love' from me.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
This is my beater. I am going to do chalk board paint as well until I get a real paint job. No rusting though because I dont want to fully ruin the hood.

I think you should do what ever you want. I love the rate rod look.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Rat rods are cool. But only when the rattiness is natural. Stripping paint to help make it rust is bass ackwards, IMO. You want a rat rod? Buy a rat. Rusty hoods were cool when it was just a few and was still basically an original idea, its already been over done.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Never heard of this....kind of interesting...but if your planning on something like the first 2 pics that viperthreat posted, i think it would look kinda cool leaving a part of the hood finished/painted....whether a painted strip left on, or a color matched vinyl of somekind......with this look, there seems to be a fine line of if the look is "on purpose" or not....so imo, leave some color/design on the hood with the rust and clear coat it so it looks like you did it on purpose...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts