Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this thing broke by someone who had to show me that he was a strong mechanic...whatever!!!!

When he pulled to hard he broke a plastic around the cable so if you ask me the first thing I would do is to get a new one but since I know there is allot of talented people here I would love to read your feedback and solutions.

Anyway, if you guys have encounter this problem how did you resolve it?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The solution is the idiot who broke it for you should pay for replacing it.
Let's say to be fair he should pay for 60% of the total cost. Since it was a little old. and your getting a brand new one free is also not fair.

So I would say the dude who broke it should be coughing up some cash to have it fixed. period.

Or, you can find one in a junkyard in good shape and your 'friend' can install it for you for free, with a guarantee as to it being done right, and in a timely manner.
So you are not waiting till 2019 for it to get done!
So you pay for the used part, and he installs it, or pays for the full installation.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
You may be able to just retighten it from underneath. I thought I had broken mine and just reinstalled it. That was a long time ago and has stayed in place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elizabeth thanks for your advice, trust me if I had the chance to speak to that man at the moment I would have them fix that problem...but this was done in my absence a loooong time ago, so now I been like this for a long time and I just decided to take care of my car more than before...

Zach man I don't know but I'll try with TerryB advice I will take a look on what I can do, meanwhile I'm open for more suggestions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elizabeth thanks for your advice, trust me if I had the chance to speak to that man at the moment I would have them fix that problem...but this was done in my absence a loooong time ago, so now I been like this for a long time and I just decided to take care of my car more than before...

Zach man I don't know but I'll try with TerryB advice I will take a look on what I can do, meanwhile I'm open for more suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is broken the same exact way, I just grabbed another off one of my parts cars and I'm going to change it out, it's not too big of a deal if you take your time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mine was almost like yours,but i forgot to tell the smog guy it was messed up,and he pulled it,a whole lot of cable came out.bought a new one from tousley ford,and have yet to install it or get it installed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks complicated to install, I might have to look for someone to do it....mmm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello -- did you get it fixed yet? I just joined this forum after acquiring a 2000 Ford Focus for my daughter in college. I have the same problem with the broken handle, so I was wondering how you made out and if you have any tips.

Thanks, Pete

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Haha mine looks the same. Been broke for a year or two. I just tuck it up in the wire harness until I need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. The plastic around the cable is broken and the handle hangs down by my clutch foot. Every time I pull the handle I have to push the broken part back in or the hood won't latch closed. Has anyone fixed this problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine has been broken for over 2 years, it tucks in perfect behind the driver side kick panel plastic if you turn it the right way. It has never gotten in the way of my clutch pedal and it is easy to untuck it to pop the hood. It's the better alternative to buying a new cable when the old one is still functional.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I just replaced mine last month. The plastic finally cracked beyond repair. It took about an hour or so by myself. Probably a half hour if I had some help. The only part I didn't get right was getting the rubber grommet back in place at the firewall. I just sealed it tight with some duct tape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Broken Latch

This just happened to my car. They are willing to fix it but I can't get there as it's out of town and my daughter is going into labor any time. Best part, a noise started today when turning the steering wheel. How do you get the hood open with the cable broke?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts