Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i bought a hood of ebay (how genius am I right? yea .. no) well any ways the thing wont latch right .... it gets the first *click* but not the final latch .... now i wanted to put hood pins on ne ways ... if i have real hood pins installed it would be fine right? just wanna double check with all of you .... im sure someone here know alot more then i do haha .... aight well thank you now incase i forget to thank you at a later time ...

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's personal preference. You can leave the latch off, and use the two hood pins if you'd like.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i mean there isnt going to be any problems with it will it? like there is not check engine light or nothing that will get messed up for driving with no hood latched ..... i mean i see them on older cars and drag racing cars ...so i assume if there on there i wont need to latch it ....

·
Registered
491 Posts
No CEL lol

The only problem is, if you forget to latch one, or both. You're hood and/or windshield is gone.

That's why the design the latches like they do. If the hood is "popped" it's still latched for a little extra security, BUT i have heard and seen hoods that still come up and destroy the hood and/or windshield.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i seen that once at the drag strip ... not a pretty sight..... im sure the driver was shyting bricks too ...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My latch didnt work either, im rockin just the hoodpins, some people dont like em and call em "rice" but they are fully functional. its all personal preference but i wouldnt use em if i didnt have to.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice man ... i dunno i like hood pins .... gives it that old school mustang feel lol wel i ordered the carbon fiber/black hood pins .... so hopefully it will blend in kinda .... is there like a certain technic i should learn prior to drilling two holes in my hood? i have never drilled threw carbon fiber b4

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forget the ricey crap, hood pins will look great on your car! hood pins were/are the sign of the muscle car era and have nothing to do with jap crap. go for it, I'm planning on installing them on my stock hood this weekend just for that ole muscle car look. Just one thing, try to find a stainless steel hood pin kit, since the chrome ones tend to rust after the pin has scratch up the surface......NOW, GO PUT THEM BAD BOYS ON!!!!!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've never drilled through fiber, but i have drilled through just about everything else. First, i'd do a pilot hole, just because it won't hurt. use a 1/4" or less. Go slow, and use a SHARP drill bit. If you have an old set, just go buy a single new bit, whatever the size it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i got them from NOPI.com so im assuming there of good quality .... as soon as they get in ill post a pics of them when there on ... ill probly do it this coming sunday ... and yea forget the ricey crap ... not like there gonna have neons on them

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
what no neons on them well then I don't want them no really I am going to put them on mine

·
Registered
797 Posts
i'd go to a shop and see if they can fit it right..not a fan of hood pins

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just a note of caution. When I did my aircraft battle damage repair course(I'm in the Air Force) and we had to cut or drill into ANY carbon fiber we were in masks and the white suits. Do not think about cutting into it without at least a good mask and eye protection on your face!! The loose fibers lodge into your lungs PERMANENTLY! Don't want to alarm you but it is really nasty stuff. Also we were using titanium carbide or cobalt drill bits. You can get away with HSS but you'll probably do better with ti coated. Good Luck and post pics when you get it done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay well after about 4 hrs of work the hood pins and hood are finaly on.... i will take pictures when i get home and post em up .... the hood is looking awsome ... thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
did u inhale any fibers?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aight well i keep forgeting to take pictures but today when i get home im gonna do it ... and they will be on here before the end of tonight .... unless i forget again lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts