Focus Fanatics Forum banner

To remove or not remove the under hood liner...

• Leave it alone!

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Take it off already!

Votes: 39 61.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have removed it, can you explain why?
What would be the down side, from ripping it off the under hood?
The way I see it on mine, I could perhaps bennefit from removing it since it practicly covers the top side of my SRI cone filter.
All input is welcomed.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I took mine off because I sat out there in the garage one weekend thinking of little ways to drop the bay temperature and removing that was one of them. I didn't care for how it looked to begin with. Once I discovered that my hood wasn't getting messed up from the heat off the header and then again when I found out how much cooler my SRI sounded I knew it was a good call. The thing snaps right back in if you change your mind about it. The one downside is that the underside of my hood is just primered, no paint....bastards went cheap even on an SVTF [rolleyes]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I took mine off... having no problems at all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well mine didnt come with one.. your probably going to have alot of people tell you that without it your paint will bubble.. well if the paint would bubble after a few years why would ford sell some cars without a hood liner? I have had mine now for a year and no problems and I know others who have taken it off or not had one on for much longer.

You will definatly be able to hear your intake more[thumb] [:D]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I have seen one car with a little messed up paint from this and that was a Powerworks boosted SVT with no shield over the header. The paint looked a little bubbled on the underside of the hood but nothing serious and I'm not even sure it was due to that, could have been another reason.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Removed my liner from the hood and firewall. Engine bay looks cleaner, and have no problems with underhood heat even with the header heatshield removed and a JRSC install. Oh, and underhood is painted and clear coated. LastRites, is your underhood primer job unique to your car, or do you know other '04 SVTF owners with the same situation? Can't imagine why Ford would do that, unless it was a glitch...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Some of the cheaper models dont have them factory and have a completely painted underhood, it sucks that our svt's and some others dont because i think the painted underhood looks better. Thinking back, my sons S2 didnt have one from the factory either and was completely painted. He had a superman emblem made to fit the center of the underhood, looked great.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it, and it is fully painted, so good in fact that I wish the rest of the car was still that vibrant.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
He had a superman emblem made to fit the center of the underhood, looked great.
You know that's funny because I have thought the same thing about my car..Looking at the shape the braces make, it is the perfect shape...

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts

What, like that? [thumb]

* not mine btw

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That looks incredibly cool. Not sure I'd put up cash to get it done, but still.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
wow that is sweet I think I need something painted on mine I didn't have any hood liner on my old hood so don;t see why you need it

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
i took mine off back when i had my short ram intake so that it wouldnt be sucking in such hot air. oh, and the underside of my hood is completely painted.[:)]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it is used to deaden the sound from the engine into the cabin, I dont think it would help in much else. BTW mine doesnt have it, then again I just bought it and its had 2 previous owners....

·
Registered
666 Posts
mine doesn't have one.. but the Edge we just bought does..

its a fire blanket. i think its made of some kind of fiberglass mesh thats been treated.. or something like that.

everyone who says they want cooler bay temps... .. are you totally against hood spacers?

probably the cheapest mod in the world this side of "FREE" and it works freakin wonders.

i've tested it in my last car. hours of driving and IM was still cold. of course... i was terrified everytime i went into an auto wash in teh winter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts