Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Asking on an issue that just happened to my '03 SVT focus. It started really hard the other day, so I popped the hood to see if it was a visual problem. The latch release in the car has always been kind of hard to pull, so I expected it. What I didn't expect was that when I dropped the hood again, the bottom latch did not secure. No matter how much I tried, it would just pop up again. When I checked the spring, I basically touched it and it came undone. Thinking this is the root of the problem??? Otherwise it could be the cable. Your insight is appreciated. I have a parts guy in contact.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Look down below the latch to the plastic arm that the end of cable snaps into. The arm MUST be as far to the left (at front of car looking at latch) as possible. You can take a screwdriver to move it further or even use fingers if they are long enough and then if hood locks all the way your problem. The cable as it gets old then adds friction inside to hang up that movement to the left and then the latch only single locks but not all the way to double. Two latch actions taking place there, the first one is the one that lets hood stick up maybe 1/2". Second one is the true hood lock.

I have had to install like a hardware store long spring bolted at the first bumper cover hole and hooked around that arm above the cable to assist that return and it works 100% now. I stretch the spring maybe 4 inches to hook it on.

If not that it can be 2-3 other things as well without changing the latch. A funky set up there, it can flaw in several ways.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Try simply PUSHING the cable back into the housing fully, seen that do it too. Cable friction sometimes overrides the equipped spring action that returns it fully.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is I gotta figure out how to put the spring back in right. It came loose, the end came out of the latch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts