Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems opening my hood but its not from the usual culprit, the cable. The cable is working well and smoothly. The problem is the coil that attaches to the latch that pulls the latch arm when the cable is pulled from under the dash is coming off its post and is being unwound (see pics, third one specifically). I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and sprayed it with silicon grease spray because I thought that might solve the problem but to no avail. I even "pushed" it back down as much as I could with the screwdriver but that didn't do much. (fourth pic is it being "pushed" back)

My question is: is that coil part of the latch or a separate part of what connects to the latch? I was going to take off the grill to see if that would allow me easier access to tighten it but I didn't know if I should just order a whole new latch. I haven't been able to find the specific part either, which is why I'm unsure if it's part of the latch.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Try moving the latch cable arm the cable attaches to to the left more fully. Test by opening hood.

I had to add a helper spring running sideways to that arm from the left to pull the arm back all the way. On two cars. I used a bumper cover fastener hole to attach the spring end to, the other end hooked to the arm around the cable end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts