Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking around to get good base numbers for stock focus on a dig to 60 and I feel like somehow based on what I've seen (sub 8 sec 0-60) my car is slower than it would be stock somehow. I did tests with another person in the vehicle timing and I consistently pulled 15 sec. Flat to 60 with another 160lb body and solo pulls consistent 8.7-9.2 (depending on tire spin) I launched flooring it, 2000rpm launch and 2500 rpm launch and it seemed to be consistently faster launching from lower rpms. But I don't think people are honest with these sub 8 sec. 0-60's on stock cars what are you're guys opinions on this. Is there a link to some in depth testing. I have weight pulled from the car (85lbs), moddified intake manifold and ram intake w/ no tune yet. But it is significantly faster than when I bought it. I would say when I bought the car 0-60's were in the 12 sec range driving solo. I own a 2006 2.0l se

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes 8 seconds is definitely true.. you just have to shift right, but to me thats beating your car and i dont do it too often, just to be on the safe side. Also, stopwatches arent the best for this stuff..

Also, if its an auto it wont be near 8 seconds.

·
Registered
949 Posts
"I have weight pulled from the car (85lbs), moddified intake manifold and ram intake w/ no tune yet. But it is significantly faster than when I bought it. I would say when I bought the car 0-60's were in the 12 sec range driving solo."

No way in hell you'd shave >3 seconds off 0-60 with just those mods. Your car ran high 8's from the factory.

·
Registered
White 2003 zx5 autotrans zetec, grey 2003 zx5 standardtrans zetec, grey 2004 se standardtrans zetec
85 Posts
Depends on where he pulled weight from, I guess. Just from a bit of reading I did recently, if OP did a BSD that's 20lbs off the car and a fair deal of weight (not sure how much exactly) off the crank. OP would probably mention something like that though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe my car was running shitty then when i bought it, I've done alot of maintaince work on the vehicle and I've dropped some more weight as of yesterday pulling back seats and brackets. Everything is GUTTED from behind front seats minus rear door pannels. Here are some photos. Since I've removed rear seats as of yesterday I'm pulling 8.3 best 0-60 so far. Outside of 0-60's driving characteristics are much better. More concerned with 0-60's for exit speeds on corners ns stuff not so much straight line speed. Car is pretty fast though for 8 second car. Sorry if my 8 sec auto zx4 is too close to your own 0-60 times for comfort but I doubt this car was truly running 9 sec 0-60's out the factory when the 5 speed is running high 8's. As I said before most of the weight pulled is from BEHIND the driving seat. Won't be fully gutting the car till I have handheld tuner so it's not super obvious.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind 2006 zx4 weighs around 2650-2750 off the lot depending on package. I did some research and saw the newer focus (MK3 -MK4) even fully gutted still weigh more than a fully stock Z4. they weigh around 3200 stock and fully gutted 100% down to one seat on the scale WET car was still around 2950lbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Center console armrest removed
Rear seats removed
Spare tire and all tools associated
12 in sub box n amp
2ND tool box
Rear speakers removed (yesterday)
Rear resonator (that shit is HEAVY)
Lifetime filter and snorkel
Any extra shit that was in the car (around 15-20 lbs of shit in the glove compartment around the car)
A safe estimate would be 150lbs removed now. Looking at what I have left I think I can drop another 200 lbs once car is fully gutted looking at panels, front seats, 2ndary air system, A/C all that's going to get dropped once I can legit delete out the systems with a handheld.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes 8 seconds is definitely true.. you just have to shift right, but to me thats beating your car and i dont do it too often, just to be on the safe side. Also, stopwatches arent the best for this stuff..

Also, if its an auto it wont be near 8 seconds.
It's auto ZX4 4 speed ATX

·
Registered
949 Posts
"Keep in mind 2006 zx4 weighs around 2650-2750 off the lot depending on package. I did some research and saw the newer focus (MK3 -MK4) even fully gutted still weigh more than a fully stock Z4. they weigh around 3200 stock and fully gutted 100% down to one seat on the scale WET car was still around 2950lbs. "

Nope. The 5spd MK3 starts around 2900 lbs. It's heavier vs the previous gen, but not by much. Added hp makes up for the extra weight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Keep in mind 2006 zx4 weighs around 2650-2750 off the lot depending on package. I did some research and saw the newer focus (MK3 -MK4) even fully gutted still weigh more than a fully stock Z4. they weigh around 3200 stock and fully gutted 100% down to one seat on the scale WET car was still around 2950lbs. "

Nope. The 5spd MK3 starts around 2900 lbs. It's heavier vs the previous gen, but not by much. Added hp makes up for the extra weight.

How much added hp on the same engine platform with extra 200 lbs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"How much added hp on the same engine platform with extra 200 lbs? "

I don't know, but the MK3 has 160 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque. The 5spd's run 7.3s from the factory.
Those sound like good numbers, more power than my zx4 (133hp/133tq) I'd like to belive I'm making more power than that now (or at least putting more of it to the floor) with my mods but nowhere near what you're making without tuning! Mostly benefit from the weight difference and suspension in the zx4. I do have aftermarket cv-axles which are a few pounds lighter so I'm sure I've benefited some from that as well. (Swapped those in after I snapped passenger side CV-axle abusing my vehicle.)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have weighed my 2004 ZX3 2.3 and it was under 2,400 lbs wet. I remember it was lighter than my NB Miata. LOL
As far as 0-60 times, I've never checked, and with almost 300,000 miles on the original clutch, I'm not about to now. o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have weighed my 2004 ZX3 2.3 and it was under 2,400 lbs wet. I remember it was lighter than my NB Miata. LOL
As far as 0-60 times, I've never checked, and with almost 300,000 miles on the original clutch, I'm not about to now. o_O

I haven't gotten to weigh my car just yet, I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed around 2,500ish. But my duratec is at 332,000, I almost positive the clutch isn't the original though. They definitely are a quick car for what they are though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aha my zx4 is at 150,000 miles. But I have recently aquired a nasty leak so possible that I'm not building good pressure in the transmission, went to ford dealer to buy replacement part. After I install I will try out again and see if 0-60's have improved at all. Ended up replacing driverside cv-axle to match passenger side after I stripped off half the threads on the OE cv-axle taking off the locking nut. (Was removing to replace cv output shaft seal since it seemed most likely to be causing the leak)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts