Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

A friend of mine (a texan) suggested I post a link to this video for you (or should that be al-y'all).

April 2005 Crash - 2517bps - 36mb - 2:00 min - Sorry, it's not streamed.

If this off-topic item is in the wrong spot or should be removed just let me know.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
not being rude or anything, but whats the meaning of this all?

and what type car did your friend drive (or this person who drove)?

that'd be all..[:)]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wow that sucked.. That was like something out of Days of Thunder. Thats awesome that he had the balls to drive into that dust even tho he couldnt see shit. The Civic driver got scared and let off. Causing the crash. Too bad for your friend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for confusion

Hi Gang,

Sorry for creating confusion. I posted this in the wrong forum.

However, let me try to clear up a few things:
  • Yes, that’s me driving.
  • The car is a 1992 Sentra SE-R Cup car.
  • The race was April 2005 at Buttonwillow California, a NASA sponsored event and I was competing in the SE-R Cup class.
  • I was not racing with the Hondas. Our class of Sentras was put on the grid behind the Honda Challenge (H4) class. The wisdom of this choice still eludes me.
  • Had we been placed in order of qualifying times I would have started ahead of all the H4's. Read: Not behind the Rookie Hondas.
  • I deliberately held back from the Honda field so they might spread out some before we (Sentras) started overtaking their back markers. Read: Had we started directly behind them we would have overtaken several rows prior to turn one and history had shown this usually resulted in contact.
  • In the first turn you see my head turn to the right; I am checking to make sure I have room as another Sentra (Tom Paule) is just out of camera shot.
  • The accepted practice in a cloud (dust, smoke) is to maintain speed and line but be ready to make a correction.
  • The Honda driver claims there was a spinning car in front of him (thus he needed to brake).
  • The officials ruled this incident a "racing accident" - nobody at fault.
  • Some Honda drivers claimed that I had been reckless! Most who have seen the video don't agree.
  • Repairs were expensive but we were racing again in June at Sears point. Unfortunately my co-driver destroyed the car during morning warm-up in turn 3. Yes, another rookie Honda.
  • This second incident finished our season. We're still building the replacement car and hope to run a couple of races this season in preparation for next year.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts