Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking, and thinking some more, about whether or not to try a homemade SRI on my 2009 SES. Upon first inspection I could see the only way to modify the MAF tube for a cone filter would be to mutilate it and cut away the portions of the airbox connected to/part of the MAF tube. I've had the 3" inlet cone filter for 3 months or more, stalling in fear of making irreparable damage to the only MAF tube I had. However, today I priced a new air filter at Canadian Tire..... $39.97 (Fram).... that wasn't what I was expecting. So, I purchased a propane torch and nozzle, and went home to tear into the MAF tube. My air filter was getting a little dirty, and I had slight issues with rough idle, and gas mileage starting to dwindle.

Surprisingly, LoL, all seems to have gone well. Once I started to cut away at the MAF tube my nervousness turned to concentration/determination. Easily, although somewhat time consuming, I was able to cut away the top pieces of the airbox from the MAF tube. The edges were rough, so I used the hot knife, a utility blade/razor, and some sand paper to clean the edges. Backyard jobbie for sure, but you can't beat the price. [headbang]

I'll throw some pics up after I create a photobucket account. Just wanted to show it can be done, and doesn't take much work or money. Once cut apart, the MAF tube was 3", a perfect fit for my filter.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
really f# kin duct tape ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really f# kin duct tape ?
LOL, I'm [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] still laughin....yes, I was really concerned about a CEL. I saw someone else got one when they put a homemade SRI on, and I really didn't want one. Plus, I covered the duct tape, lol. Maybe I'll delete that pic.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe you should have just used silicone or rtv if you're that worried about it sealing. lol

Duct tape?! Come on bro! Besides that, nice job [cheers]

·
Registered
495 Posts
All that work just to get some nice warm underhood air into your engine ? [dunno]

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe you should have just used silicone or rtv if you're that worried about it sealing. lol
I think I'll look into that. I'm curious how long I would have to let silicone dry before driving the car?

All that work just to get some nice warm underhood air into your engine ? [dunno]
I had a hard time getting the tranny to shift gears around 2k rpm in normal driving (ATX). However, since installing this I can achieve it easily. Maybe the extra 3-5 hp has given the motor enough power to shift sooner? I dunno, but it always used to shift around 2500 rpm, but now it shifts around 2100 rpm. And, I also left the bottom of the airbox due to the fact it has the air inlet/snorkel feeding it cooler air, not sure if it makes a difference, but I'll leave it there for now.

Question - if an engine is afflicted with heat soak, wouldn't that show on my temp gauge? So, if that's true wouldn't I be able to monitor my temp gauge to see if this will become an issue? We've had a couple of 30+ degree (celcius), 86 Fahrenheit, days, and my temp gauge stayed normal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I'll look into that. I'm curious how long I would have to let silicone dry before driving the car?

I had a hard time getting the tranny to shift gears around 2k rpm in normal driving (ATX). However, since installing this I can achieve it easily. Maybe the extra 3-5 hp has given the motor enough power to shift sooner? I dunno, but it always used to shift around 2500 rpm, but now it shifts around 2100 rpm. And, I also left the bottom of the airbox due to the fact it has the air inlet/snorkel feeding it cooler air, not sure if it makes a difference, but I'll leave it there for now.

Question - if an engine is afflicted with heat soak, wouldn't that show on my temp gauge? So, if that's true wouldn't I be able to monitor my temp gauge to see if this will become an issue? We've had a couple of 30+ degree (celcius), 86 Fahrenheit, days, and my temp gauge stayed normal.
Use black gasket maker. Its ready instantly and seals great. Say "Right Stuff" on the package. Costs about as much as a roll of duct tape too. Lol

Also, the incoming temp wont effect your coolant twmp much inless your running some super high boost. What does happen is a loss in horsepower because of thinner air. (Hot air is less dense and therefore has less oxygen. ) it won't effect your stock car much and most likely you'll still gain 3-5 hp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
haha glad to see im not the only one who made there own sri...i just went a slightly diff. route of it by using some old sheet metal...post pics later check it out

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't help but laugh my ass off every time someone is offended by the duct tape, LoL...... *starts routing around looking for a picture of red green* Ahahaha, I can laugh at myself, it's all good. At least StangGTT had some useful info with the gasket maker, I just didn't think of it. I'm mechanically inclined, but no mechanic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
good job man, ive been searching around for two whole days trying to find a MAF tube for my 09 so i could make my own CAI, but was reluctant to hack away the air filter lid. Since you said it was relatively simple, im going to try it haha

·
Registered
249 Posts
good job man, ive been searching around for two whole days trying to find a MAF tube for my 09 so i could make my own CAI, but was reluctant to hack away the air filter lid. Since you said it was relatively simple, im going to try it haha
I found some universal aluminum maf sensor tubes at spectre performance

The thing is, you must make sure that the tube is the same diameter as the original. Otherwise, it will require a tune or some craftyness that I did to my wife's Mazda6 to insure proper readings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think my best bet is to go down to this huge junkyard a few miles from my house, and snag the MAF housing out of one of the older 2.3L duratec's. And just put my MAF in that tube, seems alot easier imo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts