Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Tabu to ask about home made short rams? I have asked IN other intake threads when they have been mentioned but no one wants to show me one! I really wanna see what some of you have done so I can get some ideas and do my own! Come on I know a bunch of you must have done it! I would feel like a retard paying well over 200 (cdn) for a short pipe with a filter on the end of it! Lets see em!

Thanks ;)

Jake

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
You'd feal like a retard for spending $200 on a good quality component for your car that will add hp and torque??? Wow, I feel I would be a complete tool and a retard if I put some $.25 piece of pcv from Home Depot under my hood. That is a $3000 engine you have there, and you'd feel and look REALLY retarded blowing it up because you used a faulty seal or something and got debris in.

My K&N Typhoon CAI (way better than the short ram, getting all that hot air into the engine is a bad thing, cai is the wtg) has beautiful welds, nice fittings, and was well worth the $200 or so I paid for it. I feel like a champ with a quality part, not a retard.

... but that's just me...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your also running a true CIA and you sound like someone who should be worried about vapor lock! Sorry but $250 is about $214 more than a Focus is worth. I just want the sound and knowing that I got rid of all that restrictive crap underthere for no reason! If I gain a few HP then I'm a bit happier. I don't really care about the gains as much tho. its slow anyway you cut it and a CIA ain't gonna help that.

JAke

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your also running a true CIA and you sound like someone who should be worried about vapor lock! Sorry but $250 is about $214 more than a Focus is worth. I just want the sound and knowing that I got rid of all that restrictive crap underthere for no reason! If I gain a few HP then I'm a bit happier. I don't really care about the gains as much tho. its slow anyway you cut it and a CIA ain't gonna help that. Besides K&N is crap. Seriously they are overpriced underdeveloped POSs that idiots buy for the name. sorry but I have seen some REALLY shitty K&N FIPP kits (non Foci) that are unaccaptable!

JAke

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wow Jake, easy boy, go learn some facts about intakes before you bash someone. CAI gets air from outside the engine bay so it DOES add more power, as opposed to a short ram which gets air from under the hood. Pretty simple idea there. And K&N was the first aftermarket filter and intake system company ever. They started the aftermarket industry for this stuff. How can they possibly be bad? And what filter are you going to use on the end of your new Macgyver-bubble gum and duct tape- rigged short ram? K&N is the industry leader in filter technology. Need to do some more research, or better yet, go to Home Depot, get your PVC, and I'll see you down at the Ford Dealership with a voided warranty when you blow up your engine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
if you dont care about quality then just go get a bomz intake and replace the cone. Intakes are like 35 bucks on ebay and maybe another 30 dollars if you want to replace it with a better cone filter. Personally, I would rather spend a little more and get a good used one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
umm when did I say a CIA didn't add more power than a short ram? I never said that at all. I'm just saying if I did buy a kit I would buy one of a small comapy that makes parts for Fords or the Focus in general like MM. They only make a handfull of Ford parts so their heart is into it and I would rather give them buisness. However I don't see why a simple home built short ram should be any more dangerous than a kit. as long as you bought some got conections and as for the filter I would just get a paper one. don't want to deal with oiling my filter. if you over oil them you can get excess oil sucked into the intake. I have seen people destroy their MAF with K&N kits. but not knocking K&N for that becaues they probrobly put way to much oil in them.

JAke

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
mn12bird said:
your also running a true CIA and you sound like someone who should be worried about vapor lock! Sorry but $250 is about $214 more than a Focus is worth. I just want the sound and knowing that I got rid of all that restrictive crap underthere for no reason! If I gain a few HP then I'm a bit happier. I don't really care about the gains as much tho. its slow anyway you cut it and a CIA ain't gonna help that.

JAke
do you even know what vapor lock is?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry I meant to say Hydralock AKA the motor sucking in moisture from a soaking wet airfilter to close to the ground. Seen it happen to a Zetec with a CIA driving thru alot of puddles. Vapour lock has something to do with the fuel. I used the wront term. Anyway point is... I asked about a home made short RAM. not opinions on CIA witch there are already a million of. if you don't like my plans then why are you here posting in MY forking topic? Just becuase I don't want to buy a K&N kit doesn't mean shite one way or another.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I felt you saying that you'd feel like a retard spending $200 on a SRI was the same as calling all of FF.com who have spent money on real parts because we care about the quality of our parts retards. Don't go slinging crap if you can't take a bit back. SOrry if we think a brand name part is better than a Home Depot Mickey Mouse job.

And hydrolock might happen if you try and ford a river in your car. Splashes won't do it, it needs to be submerged. And the only way to submerge my way better than homemade K&N Typhoon would mean I was in water higher than my door jams, which means my feet would get wet. I think if your in a puddle that deep your dumb anyways and can't blame your dead engine on a CAI, but on inferior drivers skills.

But on a lighter note, I understand budgets, I was there once with my old IROC through highschool and college. Whatever makes you happy brotha. Just don't call me retarded because I can afford the brand I want.

As a side note, back in the day people used to put pennies into the fuse box when something blew. Sure it's cheaper and it works, but a fuse is the right part, and will not cause problems. I know that's way off base, but the idea is there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No -->I<-- would feel like a retard for putting that money into my car because -->I<-- don't like my car that much or feel its worth putting money into. -->I<-- already feel dumb for overpaying for my Roush shifter knob since I fubard my stocker! I don't even have a stereo in my car because I think the stock CD player is good enough for the car and I don't have to worry about it getting jacked! I like some of the done up Foci on here! If I did have the money to put into my car I would love to go all out Cossie! and they are expensive! Personally if I were to put money into a car it would be a side project/cheep track car for fun that I wouldn't have to worry about so much. I wasn't knoking you guys for putting money into YOUR cars tho. I'm not actually worried about hydolock myself. I was just using that as a counterpoint to your "sucking in debris" jab! I'm not one to worry about my motor blowing up over such rare instanses. As for the warrenty even a CIA would void it technically. but you can always put the stock box back on before you bring it in and they would never know!

Jake

·
Registered
622 Posts
No way you overpayed for the shift knob. I have the Rousch shift knob and I love it! Added at least 15 HP!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and "handling" fees. god I paid more in fees than the price of the knob! Buts it's okay. kinda small. put the shifter a whee bit lower and it was already boarderline far for me. I'm kinda a big guy (6.3 250) for a Focus!

Jake

·
Registered
485 Posts
yes...a brand name intake is a good part for a car...but is it worth the extra 100 bucks for the 5 inch metal tube with a k/n on the end?

these are foci were talking about people...1-2hp wont be noticable, and if your tubing is smoother, or made of blue aluminum, or black plastic it doesnt make a difference.

if you want to spend the money on a basically inconsequential part like an intake go for it, but the r/d really isnt worth the extra cost

·
Registered
42 Posts
my op if ur going to make a short ram u might as well take air dam out of the fender well and stick a k&n on the end of the black tube that holds the maf i did that when i 1st got my car sAved up 250 and bought a full k&n cai a good envestment in my eyes

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah but then you would still have the big resonator under the hood. I like no more evils setup. cept I would keep the peice with the PVC pipe going to the vavle cover there and put a pipe in it that holds the MAF and have the filter a bit more over farther. BTW what did you do for the PCV ventilation? did you put a little filter on there? can't see.

Yeah thats another thing. Living in Canada sucks for ordering car parts! the exchange is sooo damn close lately but you can still get dinged with brokerage and duty fees when it hits the boarder. and I can't tell till it comes! unless you can find someone who deals in Canada.... so IF I did buy one does anyone make a short RAM for the Duraslug OTHER than Steeda??

Jake

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah, i hydrolocked my engine with the 'stealth cai' mod, you know where you put the filter on the end of the maf tube in its original place? so short ram for me only. its not a bad setup, you can feel it a little bit and DEFINATELY hear it.

and yeah, i got a little breather filter. you can see it up there right past the middle of the strut bar.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
i have a homeade short ram intake also...and i dont see any problems,,,im like the other guy i love the sound it makes...dont care about hp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts