Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. going through the how to's seeing what little things I can do for fun.

I was thinking about purchasing some altezza's for my focus but wanted to experiment before I was going to install them. There a way to clear out the tail lights from the red?

I was asking around and people said once its off... taking apart the lense cover from the tail light.. use nail polish remover.. Wondering if anyone ever heard of this and how well does this work.. or if anyone has anything else to do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't know if that's legal. I really doubt nail polish remover would make the actual lens clear. If you're just trying to change the plastic from red to chrome or something, I'd just hit it with some standing, primer, and duplicolor chrome from autozone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw I don't know if you understand... Its like altezzas where its clear.. how you can see through the tail light. I'm talking about the tail light cover... Hows thats red.. take that off, and from the inside use nail polish remover to take the red away.. therefore left with it being clear.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I dont know if that would work, but i know its probly not legal. Once you do that, your brakelights would be white. I thought that the red plastic was red all the way through, if it was i dont think that fingernail polish remover would take it out. Hmm, IF it would turn the red clear, that would be an easy way to get clear turn signals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
would not work. I used to work at a factory that made such parts. The plastic is red. there is nothing to "clean off"

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm with RedSVT. For the Sedans, the altezzas really do not work well, imo. I strongly prefer to the APC tails or euro tails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn never thought you all thought about it like that. I'll for sure check out the euro tails. Thanks alot for all the input, and I'll def be taking your advice. The more I think about it.. the more it makes me think it'll look tacky.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It is possible. I know what you're talking about, they make them for some cars, but not ours.

What you have to do is bake them take the cover off, then go to home depot and get the stuff you use to cover lights on dropped ceilings. its that clear plastic stuff thats rigid on one side. Lightly bake that and form it to the headlight, trace it, then sand down the ridges about a 1/4 inch in from the trace and cut it out with some slack around the edges. put the glue where you sanded down the ridges and glue it to the tail light housing. then use a dremerel to cut off the slack.

I'm actually trying this myself on a pair of spair taillights i have left over from my old 626 that i sold. It has been done before and came out looking very well, just not for our car.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
but taillights have to be RED, and the bulbs are also clear

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yes there are many places to get red lights, red bulbs and red leds are available to fit there. I have Red LED's inside my red housings now... very red and very bright, i love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts