Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting for exhaust, tune, and air intake system. Was bored so called the local body shop and ordered a new airbox lid. Cost was under $ 20.00. Took it to work and cut the top out and put a K&N filter on it. The sound is awesum :)

Peformance...well my ass dyno says it pulls harder in 2nd and 3rd...4th and 5th can't tell any different but it is louder so I guess it is faster...LOL

Best part I can put my factory lid back on in 10 minutes :) Now I guess I need to make my own exhaust until borla gets off there butts and makes us one :)

Here is a picture of it.

www.flairphoto2.com/intake.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks good brother! But prepare to be flamed from those telling you you're just sucking hot air from the engine bay. Another guy did this a few months back and took the bottom box out instead along with the resonator tube on the side. You want noise, take that tube off. It doesn't go anywhere. It's just to balance the sound from bouncing around and making noise. Or keep going and order the bottom box and do the classic "swiss cheese" mod. Then post pics and maybe an audio clip! [thumb]

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
pffft.....you're just sucking hot air from the engine bay

jk looks good. Clean mod.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Would love some video of the sound! This is one the main reasons I usually get aftermarket intake kits.

Tony

·
Registered
163 Posts
looks nice!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile The big thing with the duratecs is the airbox is a huge air restricting mess. If you reduce that restriction and introduce more air, youll get gains, even if you suck in some hot air.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's the one I was referring to. Take that "silencer" out and put some tape over the hole till you figure out what you wanna do with your set up. I took mine out a couple days ago and it sounds nice. I was doing some IAT testing and found the box keeps he heat down 1.6 degrees. If you're wondering where the intake comes in. It's all the way over by the passenger headlight. Pointing at the headlight. Not towards the front of the car as you would expect.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The airbox lid cost me 9.95 so didn't mind testing it for that little bit of money. Will put something on from Steeda, K&N if they ever come out with something and it proves to be better. I bought this car to replace my 03 focus which was used as my daily driver so the GT500 can sit in the garage...truly I am not out to make this a rocket..I want 10's in my Shelby and only run 11.88 so need to focus big money on that beast. But I would like a better exhaust, intake and tune for this one if it would give me another 10 to 15hp. It would be worth it to me just for that little extra. I will say without having a dyno that last week we had a very cool morning and the car seemed to be more responsive on the way to work. (no stop and go just highway) Maybe I will take the car to my tuner for the Shelby that has a dyno one day and see if they can give it a little more juice. (Evolution Performance) #1

·
Registered
422 Posts
What did you cut it with? Alls I have is an angle grinder and a dremmel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts