Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey!

has anyone ever made a home made air intake?

i see auto zone has parts.. Elbows, connectors, adapters, reducers, and the filters... But, what do i need for sensors on the intake...
and how dose the MAF fit in?

OR would i be better off just buying one?
(college student budget)

thanks!

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
i got an AEM CAI for 350

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
save and buy, it will last longer, and make more power than a homemade intake could ever do!

·
Registered
783 Posts
stealth intake.... then buy one when u can afford it.

on that note... a few members have gotten the HPS. Its cheap compared to other companies and so far i havent heard any bad comments. I myself am considering the HPS(its a close battle including HPS, FS, and Steeda)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I got the K&N FIPK CAI and haven't regretted it for a second
personally i would love to go with the K&N, but its just so damn expensive in comparison to some of the others. I hate having to pay for a name

·
Registered
783 Posts
sure... if u can get one. I gave up on my hunt for a cossie, everytime one comes around im broke. :-/

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i think eventually ill give up my cosworth and go with something more stealth.

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
Dont do it!!!!!! i tryed and drove around with a vaccum leak untill i could afford a new intake dont DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I did stealth and I kept gettimg the CEL it was pissing me off. If I were to punch it then shift into 2nd smoe times I would get it to spudder and then my car would die on me.....WTF.Save up and just do it rite, get a CAI/SRI depending on what your looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just make a custom short ram, with a tube going behing the headlight going to the lower grill.

Focus sport is the best intake, as they use ITG filters. I dynoed a itg vs k&n filter
a few years back, ITG made 1-3hp more in the rpm band over the k&n

Any intake you get, you will get better gains by replacing the filter with a ITG!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Dont do it!!!!!! i tryed and drove around with a vaccum leak untill i could afford a new intake dont DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do HPS or stealth??

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just make a custom short ram, with a tube going behing the headlight going to the lower grill.

Focus sport is the best intake, as they use ITG filters. I dynoed a itg vs k&n filter
a few years back, ITG made 1-3hp more in the rpm bad over the k&n

Any intake you get, you will get better gains by replacing the filter with a ITG!
Interesting.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Honestly 3 HP on a dyno on a 4 cylinder is nothing really substantial. You can see differences like that from run to run.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts