Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I am trying to get rid of the dumb permanent filter in my wifes 2006 focus 2.0 duratec. So far what I have done:

Took out the old filter

Disconnected the battery

made a piece to fit OEM intake tube to the filter (spectra)

Put it all together and let it lie almost on top of the stock intake tube.

When I took it for a spin, the check engine light came on and it wouldn't shift into overdrive. It also started shifting really hard. I have disconnected the battery and haven't touched it since last night.

I understand that I haven't moved the MAF (it is still in the original tube), and I was wondering if anyone has done something like this. Seems ridiculas to buy a whole setup for 185 to 300 bucks when I can do it my self for 60. If someone has tried this please reply with pictures. I need to figure this out. [wrenchin]

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Is the MAF tube still faced in the right direction? The symptom You described is usually a sign that the MAF tube has somehow been turned around. Pics would help immensely to help You figure this out. You need to use an image hosting site, like Flickr, Photobucket or the like. As for sucking in water, unless You ar3e driving through small streams the long way, it's usually not an issue. However, if You add a pre-filter bag(or a bypass valve for more extreme cases), You will block most moisture from getting to the filter. Thing is, as long as You don't submerge the filter You should be ok. Also, Your splash guard will help block most moisture as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure exactly what you did. I sit some thing like this? http://www.ineedawebsite.com/BlazingCopperZX3/Stealth CAI.html
Hey, want to say thank you for the info. I did it and it looks great and works. The permanent filter was a pain in the ass and a worry I no longer have. This fix also made my wife happy because It didn't make the car any louder. 76,000 miles and going as strong as brand new again. Thanks guys. if you want pics, it looks just like the pics in the directions I quoted. one more question, has anyone had a problem with the filter rubbing on the tubes that connect to the radiator?

·
Registered
716 Posts
np. I have mine done similiar to the one in the link and have had no probs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just did this to my 09. A pic would definitely help to narrow down any possible issues, and rule out some. For instance, how exactly did you modify the MAF tube, how much was cut off, possible leaks, etc.. I've had no issues with mine and I have put 100+ kilometers on the car since modifying the tube. I even used duct tape to ensure there were no leaks.... not the greatest looking, but I'm going to see what I can do for a "cover" or "sleeve", maybe out of aluminum or something, not sure yet, but making sure it's air tight was a major concern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts