Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a 200 mile trip, this is the first trip other than the standard comute for this focus. The first drive was fine but after I got off the interstate I started to notice that the clucth has become NOTICABLY harder.

Any idea why?

Jon

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've noticed something a lot like this in my SVT, after a couple hours stretch on the highway, the first clutch or two getting on the offramp are really, really stiff. In my case it normalizes pretty quickly tho.

I vaguely recall a post on this a long while back, I'm sure somebody will pipe in with the technical reason.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
139 Posts
same problem here with mine,after driving extened periods of time the clutch will get stiff,i think it may be due to a poor design of the pressure plate,but who knows maybe ford will come out with a fix,search on the forums you will find another topic to this concern.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if i remember correctly. its from the hydraulic clutch fluid heating up. it'll go away as time goes on. my car has 11K on it, and when i get off the highway after 2hrs of driving clutch feals same as when i got onto the highway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have the same problem. I asked the dealer to take a look at it when I had it in last time but they said they "couldn't reproduce the problem" so nothing came of it. I don't think it's anything real serious and I do remember seeing another thread on this awhile back, you may want to search for that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've done alot of driving in my Focus.. 52,000 miles on a 2005.. I used to drive between GA and MD alot! And yea I've had this Clutch thing happen a bunch of times.. I had always thought that it was just my tired leg.... I didnt even suspect that it might have been a mechanical problem. I guess i should blame more things on my Focus and not myself. I think that this would be a very hard thing to reproduce for a Ford Mechanic.. so i doubt anything will every be done about this. Our cars have Charactor. <3 Focus!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
225xx miles on my SVT and I still have the heavy clutch issue. It doesn't bother me.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesnt bother me either, I was just interested in what the problem was.

Thanks for the input.

Jon

·
Registered
484 Posts
i had a plade tell me the next thing i want to do is replace my clutch..any idea on how long it should last once they tell you to have a look out for it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
lol when mine did that an i took it to ford they told me it was an unwarrentyable issue (wearable parts) but oh well , later on it got worse an worse , finally i said piss on it an bought a new clutch kit an flywheel , (cossie) turned out my thro out bearing return spring was binding an some parts of the pressure plate were cracked an or broke. an also it was chasing premature clutch wear . befor ei changed it the car felt like it had lost its sparky soul like it had all kinds of engine power but not gettin to the ground like it should . a quick drop of the clutch determined that , wheels spinning an slowing quickly, faint clutch smell an then nothing but burnt clutch . now it seems like i need to detune it on rainy days

·
Registered
489 Posts
^^Yea.. i remember being able to churp my tires in 2nd gear.. Not anymore =( I definatly need a new clutch after 50K miles =P

·
&#9788;
7,494 Posts
I think this is from the lack of use of the clutch over an extended period of time.. like the hydraulics are not being used so it takes the pressure away.. Aren't brakes like this too?

·
Registered
658 Posts
same here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts