Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, so im looking for some quick help setting timing on my svt. i marked the old beld coming off, cam pulleys and crank. transferred the markings to the new belt. installed the cam and crank tool. i also counted the teeth on the belts and they match. when i put on the new belt the cams were at tdc as well as the crank. the belt went on fine, adjusted the tensioner and removed the timing tools. after i turn the engine over none of the markings on the new belt line up anymore. i am off a few teeth on the intake and exhaust cam. with the new belt on i installed the cam and crank tool again to see if i was off. the crank is resting on the tool and the cam tool fits right in. however the markings on the belt are still off... i rotated the engine maybe a dozen times and they never seem to line up with the original markings.....is there something i am missing? the vtc gear jumped back a little when the belt came off, when i installed the new belt (with the cam tool still in place) i had to rotate the vtc gear a tiny bit ahead to fit the new belt.....stumped....please help...thanks in advance...

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The belt and the gears are off by one tooth by design. This makes the belts wear out less quickly, becuase it isn't hitting the same spot rotation after rotation. If you used your pin and bar, and you can turn the motor by hand without resistance, then you have timed your engine correctly.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help, got it all back together. fired up on the first crank...first turn of the key was a little scary....lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts