Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was checking out the condition of my new "stealth" bulbs in the rear tails today, and after 3700 miles, I just noticed the wheels are "tucked". Anyone else noticed this? I'll be packing a level with me to take to the dealership tomorrow before I cause a fuss. Here's some pics.

Fronts have a quarter bubble.

Rears have a FULL bubble!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine as well. I was going to ask at the dealer when I take it in on Monday but it looks like it's just built that way. I don't think it's enough to cause a bad wear pattern on the tire so as long as the suspension geometry's set up to handle it I don't see a reason to complain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Mazda3's rear wheels have a very noticeable negative camber, since the new Focus is on the same(ish) platform I wouldn't be surprised if it's like that too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Probably supposed to be like that, when there's a full load in the back it'll likely straighten out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped by the dealer today. Sure enough, they are all the same. Odd........

·
Registered
519 Posts
I went to check and it's no more negative camber than my wife's Yaris (actually they're both pretty much the same). The 535i has WAYYY more rear negative camber than both.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Negative camber helps the handling of your car. As you enter a turn your car leans on the tire and your tire/wheel get closer to being perfectly up and down.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Here's a pic of my rear wheel camber - same for both sides. So everyone is saying this is normal? If so, another reason to rotate the tires every 3k miles. Can't imagine this would lead to way uneven wear after too much longer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Negative camber helps the handling of your car. As you enter a turn your car leans on the tire and your tire/wheel get closer to being perfectly up and down.
^^this^^ [thumb]absolutely correct. you should have seen the camber in the rear of my fathers Lotus.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's a FWD car, the tires don't turn (Steer) on the rear and are just trailing. As has been explained the tires have the camber so they grip better in turns and hold the road. If they were straight they would actually wear uneven from side forces as you turned. Now if you only drove in a straight line it would need to be level to wear evenly. As you turn left the part of the tire that is in contact with the road deflects to the right driving the tread flat, opposite will happen in a right turn. going straight the two sides will track away from each other stabilizing the rear end and tracking of the front to minimize wander.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Just look at the rear of most 80's - 90's BMW's all rear leaned in so did my Germany 78 and 79 granada (both the BMW and Ford had Indep rear suspensions)

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Never noticed it so obvious on a mainstream car like this but now I'll be looking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts