Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the torque strut earlier this year and it lasted three months.
The guys at A&A were nice enough to replace it on the spot.
That one lasted another three months and my engine started to move more and more.

I forgot about the ripped rubber and ripped it from first to second.
A little squack from the tires and a big boof. Pulled into a parking lot and
took a look under. Saw the mount completely broken.

I had to work the next morning so I bandaged it up.
I bit of steel wire and time. Holds like a champ.

Then I decided to make my own.
Got an old one from the auto wreckers and fitted hockey pucks.
Does anyone know how they will hold up?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Did the hockey puck just happen to be the right size or did you need to shave it get the diameter down? Interesting solution man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to make them smaller in diameter and height. I used two pucks on one side to get the thickness just rite. Both pucks were shaved down equally. The other side has just one puck. Seems to sit good.

I noticed when I'm starting the engine you feel the pistons firing. It settles when the engine is running.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You need to fit a hollow tube into the center of the pucks like the other ones have, else they will be destroyed. I also am curious how they will hold up over time. Looks like you did a nice job there.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Oh! yes he does. Sorry! never mind.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
One problem. The metal mount failed not the rubber. Even with the pucks u still have a stock metal mount lol. Vf motor mounts or steeda/cfm make really good ones. They use a different strength metal for there mounts. Up date us in 3 months when u brake this one

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason the metal broke was the rubber was ripped and the engine have more room to play. I'll do updates as they come.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
R u running slicks and dumping the clutch at redline? I've had my 06 for 3 years and have taken it to the drags. Even my Svt with the jrsc at the track have not chewed up any mounts. But keep up dates how it holds up. Also if u stiffened the lower and are aggressive enough to brake that look at the passenger mount by the coolant tank. When u stiffen that it usually gets rid of wheel hop. It probably snapped after hard launches + wheel hop= fail

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sleepyboy, I've only handled them a few times in my life but they're a very stiff rubber. I think they have just a little bounce to them but they're extremely tough. It actually seems like a fairly ingenious material to use there (especially since they're already circular) but it would transmit quite a bit more vibration than the presumably softer stock bushings, but not as much as a solid metal mount.

I was curious and tried to look up the durometer (hardness, resistance to deformation) of hockey pucks and found they're basically in between soft and hard skateboard wheels which is my frame of reference.

Here's a PDF chart listing the durometer ratings of different materials: http://www.elbex-us.com/pdfs/Durometer.pdf

·
Registered
485 Posts
me and my friend have done this on a ford Taurus and it works great and i was gonna try it on my car but my problem is the passenger mounts keep goen out so it was a no go on mine

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tires are kumoh summer tires. As far as red line goes, my tac doesn't have a recline. I've noticed it starts to stop pulling around the 6200rpm mark. That's when I do the shifting. ( when I'm beating on her )

Does anyone know the redline for 2001 zetec?

·
Registered
105 Posts
ill take some if there free [joke]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
How is the puck not falling or sliding out of place? Was it pressed in or anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts