Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the mazda 3 rear wiper - the actual arm itself (bp4k-67-421) - 34.95 and then the blade bp4m-67-330a - 15.46. (they originally told me everything together was 35 bucks but when I picked it up the bill was 55...)

anyway I came home and pulled the stocker off and went to put this new one on and noticed it has no splines!?!?! I dont really see how putting a smooth holed' arm onto a splined shaft is goign to grip anything (only frictition there is from the splines rubbing the smooth shaft and what friction the nut puts on the arm...and id rather not do this as I dont want the splines to get all messed up)

Are there supposed to be splines on this mazda arm? I thought there was and they were the same as the focus hence the reason this works out. If anyone can tell me if this is in fact the way it works or if I have the wrong part (or a bad part...??) please let me know!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm I think this needs to go back then...maybe somehow they slipped while manufacturing it and some went out without getting splines...? dosnt seem very likely which makes me think maybe this is for something else- but that too seems odd as I dont see how a wiper motor can turn a wiper on the basis of the friction between two smooth surfaces!

O well ill see what they say. Thanks for the input!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I didnt get a chance to run back but probably will on monday and see what they say. I did see that thread and wondered about that cap but the arm came with it installed (the small cover for the bolt).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the splines are actually cast (or should be) into the inside of the end of the wiper bolt hole- then the shaft coming off the wiper motor has splines too and they press together so the motor can turn the wiper.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I recently purchased the mazda wiper and it had no splines in the hole. I just tapped it and tighten it down and it works fine. Prolly just keep checking it every once in a while and keep tightening it. Works fine though.

My arm came with the bolt cover as well.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Anyone have any idea where I could order this and be able to have it shipped to a PO Box address? Everything seems to go UPS and they can't get to my apartment...

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts