Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the one road I was going down today, there was some parts of the road cut out, under construction. Well I didnt see the sign that said there was a bump in the road, and I hit it going pretty fast (85 or 90 km/h).

I got the 18 low profiles, and am a little worried (also havent had the car long).

Looks like theres no damage, but being a new car (about 2 weeks now) I am super paranoid I might have done something.

How durable are these tires?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does the car still drive the same? Or does it feel a little "wobbly" I know how to look for a broken tire belt from inside the tire, but not sure if you san see it from the outside of the tire. (I would the think the tread would be slightly raised, or possibly softer or dipped in the spot if you broke the tire belt) The tires should be pretty durable though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feels the same. Feels like nothing happened.

Just being Mr Paranoid here I think.

I wont be driving on that particular road again any time soon.

As a matter of fact, the majority of roads in my area really suck.

What am I paying taxes for exactly?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The only real difference for driving hazards between 18" wheels and smaller ones is bending the rim is a little easier. The narrower the tire, the easier. So your 18" wheels have a higher tire pressure to help with this.
As long as your tires are fully inflated, i think you will not have any issues.
With the 18" wheels you really need the tire pressure sensors..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only real difference for driving hazards between 18" wheels and smaller ones is bending the rim is a little easier. The narrower the tire, the easier. So your 18" wheels have a higher tire pressure to help with this.
Isnt that something that should have been factory installed or at least an option?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
What am I paying taxes for exactly?
I ask myself that question every day. In Illinois we pay tolls to "fix the roads." There's a lot of construction, but not so much fixin'. At least Blagojevich was finally impeached.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You could always take the car in and say "the car has a wobble can you check the tire balance?" to see if there's a bent wheel. Worth asking if you have a decent dealer service dept.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Isnt that something that should have been factory installed or at least an option?
Most of the 2012 Focus have the tire pressure sensors factory installed.
I have an SE and it is installed. Certainly the SEL and Ti do.
I do not know, and tried to search but??? if the 'S' with 15" steel wheels has the tire pressure monitoring system??
So any 2012 Focus with the 17" or 18" alloy wheels has the pressure sensors built in as far as i know, and i am assuming the 16" wheel cars do too..

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Most of the 2012 Focus have the tire pressure sensors factory installed.
I thought it was a government requirement - I believe they all have TPMS now.

EDIT: (It's from Wiki - so you know it's legit [;)]): In the United States, the Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the Clinton administration to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers to severe under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the U.S., as of 2008 and the EU, as of 2012, all new models of passenger cars must be equipped with a TPMS.

Boomsauce.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And is something supposed to go off to warn me if the tires fall below a certain pressure?

And cant I just take my car into them and tell them the truth. That I hit a bump and to see if it affected my wheels in any way? Or is that not the best idea?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes the dash light for low air pressure will warn you if they get too low. I don't know what that pressure is for notification but it will let you know.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
And is something supposed to go off to warn me if the tires fall below a certain pressure?

And cant I just take my car into them and tell them the truth. That I hit a bump and to see if it affected my wheels in any way? Or is that not the best idea?
First part, yeah, in the gauge cluster, a "U" (horseshoe shaped with "!" in the middle) shaped idiot light for 'tire pressure, comes on if one is low. Does not tell you which one though.
Pages 244 to 246 of the owners' manual has the info..

Second part: yes you can but they may (or may not?) charge you for checking the wheels.
I personally would tell them the truth and ask if they can check them over as you are concerned for safety.. simple. If the ask for a fee? then pay it. It would NOT be warranty work. I would NOT ask them to take off the tires to check them if you feel no problems. That would be way overkill IMO. If you did note some driving issues, then checking the inside of the tires would be a good idea.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Same experiences as you. First day I ran over a freakin rock the size of a baseball that some inconsiderate moron left on the road. No damage. Next day hit a cut in the road (where they dig a square hole for some reason) at speed. Knocked my teeth lose but no damage. I do swear though that every time this happens, I develop a new squeak somewhere. The Tis with the handling package ride harder than other cars I've owned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dont they all come with tire pressure sensors? My car is a stock S and when I got new rims the guy had to take them out of the old wheels and put them in the new rims.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
dont they all come with tire pressure sensors? My car is a stock S and when I got new rims the guy had to take them out of the old wheels and put them in the new rims.
Yes my bad. Someone else mentioned ALL USA cars now have to have tire pressure monitoring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i drove my car for a while today and did not feel anything out of the ordinary. Guess I didnt do any damage to the car.. but to myself..

I really need to stop stressing out over this new car :).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i drove my car for a while today and did not feel anything out of the ordinary. Guess I didnt do any damage to the car.. but to myself..

I really need to stop stressing out over this new car :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts