Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se, my power steering is making a very loud hissing sound, as long as the wheel is straight it hisses when I apply the slightest pressure either direction on the steering wheel it stops hissing. any idea what this could be...I flushed the system several times and also had the rack replaced but still hissing. any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hi I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se, my power steering is making a very loud hissing sound, as long as the wheel is straight it hisses when I apply the slightest pressure either direction on the steering wheel it stops hissing. any idea what this could be...I flushed the system several times and also had the rack replaced but still hissing. any help is very much appreciated.

Edit. I misread your post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one guy said is was a screen filter in the reservoir, but I didn't see one in there... still searching...it turns and drives fine but just hisses... I could just turn the radio up real loud and want hear it but any other time its very annoying.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
one guy said is was a screen filter in the reservoir, but I didn't see one in there... still searching...it turns and drives fine but just hisses... I could just turn the radio up real loud and want hear it but any other time its very annoying.
Couple of things I can remember from my own issues with hissing:

Check all of the little skinny plastic vacuum lines that connect from modules on the firewall to the intake manifold. I've had hissing several times when one of those slides off of its barb.

Check all of the vac lines to the intake manifold.

I broke my brake booster plastic pipe near where the check valve lives when I swapped my trans before. I think someone already mentioned that though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It maaaaay be a pulley noise that very much sounds like hissing. You turn the wheel either way slightly, a slight, but extra load is applied to the motor, quieting the pulley/ bearing. Seems like a dumb notion, but.... any change in load can could potentially create, or quiet a noise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ still quick to replace things, tracing the noise to it's source while the car isn't moving should be the first step.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
Get car warmed up to make the noise then jack it up quick and yank the serp belt and start again but only enough to satisfy what happens. Noise will still be there or be gone. Could be other things in the belt run too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check if theres play in the pulley system. That play when in the system could be making the power steering pump hiss. Which would also explain why when you turn the wheel it would stop making noise since the system would tense up more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the feed back, the hissing is sounds like it is coming from the bottom side of the rack where all the hoses connect. it was to hot for me to get to but while car was jacked up I got under and listen for the sound and I got closest to the rack underneath without burning my face. will check again tomorrow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
thanks for all the feed back, the hissing is sounds like it is coming from the bottom side of the rack where all the hoses connect. it was to hot for me to get to but while car was jacked up I got under and listen for the sound and I got closest to the rack underneath without burning my face. will check again tomorrow.

Good luck! Report back whatever you find out man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yo! Take a 2 ft. piece of hose and hold to your ear and move the other end around where the noise seema to be. It may help you localize it w/ o having your face near. There are hoses on the rack to allow air from one side yo the other. They just easily slide on and off of their barbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts