Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus SE manual transmission a week and a half ago. I drove it yesterday and noticed a hissing noise coming from the front passenger side. When at idle, the noise continues, it almost sounds like air is leaking from a pipe but I can't pin point where it is coming from. Engine light is not on and took it to the dealer today to check it out and they said that it checks out fine. I had a couple of questions:

1. Has anybody had this issue before?
2. What is the normal idle RPM on those cars? Mine sometimes sits at 500 and other times at 750 so I wonder if that has anything to do with it

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry - Don't have a 2014 but......... changes in idle can be affected by load on the engine. If your AC is on and/or the AC clutch is engaged. Idle can also be affected by the electrical load on your alternator. As far as the hissing sound, could it be more of a 'whinning' sound? As in maybe your radiator cooling fans. They are controlled automatically by a thermostat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, I haven't checked the idle RPMs when on/off A/C.
The hissing sound is more like metal on metal or air coming out of a hose... Checked to see if that's the case but cannot seem to find anything. I believe that if it was air leaking, I would get an engine light but I have none of that.
I will have to post a video when I get off work and go pick up the car

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,421 Posts
The hissing noise may be a vacuum leak. Sometimes it is hard to locate the source of the hissing sound because of all the ambient noise with the engine running. Try taking a short length (a couple of feet would do it) of about 1/4" hose and hold one end to your ear while you search around the engine compartment for the source of the noise with the other end.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,421 Posts
Would't a vacuum leak make the check engine light go off though?
Not necessarily.

If the hissing noise is constantly there, then it is likely a vacuum leak. Sometimes people hear the noise an A/C makes as the refrigerant leaks down after they shut the car off and they think they have a problem, but that is just normal operation.

BTW, your idle should stay around 700.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus SE manual transmission a week and a half ago. I drove it yesterday and noticed a hissing noise coming from the front passenger side. When at idle, the noise continues, it almost sounds like air is leaking from a pipe but I can't pin point where it is coming from. Engine light is not on and took it to the dealer today to check it out and they said that it checks out fine. I had a couple of questions:

1. Has anybody had this issue before?
2. What is the normal idle RPM on those cars? Mine sometimes sits at 500 and other times at 750 so I wonder if that has anything to do with it
My '14 has done the same thing for as long as I can remember. Have you discovered the source yet? It's inaudible with the windows up, but very noticeable with them down and near a curb or building.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not been able to find the source. If you actually listen to other focuses, you can hear it as well when they pass by you. At this point, I am wondering if its a design flaw but I am not sure

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My '14 has done the same thing for as long as I can remember. Have you discovered the source yet? It's inaudible with the windows up, but very noticeable with them down and near a curb or building.
I have not been able to find the source. If you actually listen to other focuses, you can hear it as well when they pass by you. At this point, I am wondering if its a design flaw but I am not sure
If you guys decide to take a trip to your dealer to have the hissing checked out, please keep me in the loop. I'll check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
149 Posts
did anyone figure this out. I have had the same thing since day one and its driving me nuts. How am i supposed to hear issues with my car when it is sounding like a constant vacuum leak. And yes i have heard on other foci as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
youre probably hearing the serp belt/pulleys. normal noise, nothing wrong. pull the belt off and run it for a few seconds, see if it goes away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
youre probably hearing the serp belt/pulleys. normal noise, nothing wrong. pull the belt off and run it for a few seconds, see if it goes away.
ha so if it works i need to look for a "whisper sepentine" belt[???:)]

·
Registered
149 Posts
damn

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
Tires hiss in use too, even the smoothest made on the planet.

If that's a complaint one can always walk...................if going nuts is all you got left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I know this tread is a few years old now, but I can hear a hissing noise under my 2016 Titanium Focus. It seems to be coming from the middle of the car, not the engine. Any ideas as to what It might Be? I have Rac Warranty for 3 years and I don't know if that's classed as wear & tear or not. Also, I have just bought a OBD2, I'm hoping that might give me a clue, or pinpoint an area, so when I take it to the garage I'll save a few quid lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts