Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SE trim level without the sports package, which has a low drive option rather than the sport mode and does not have the selectshift funcion. What is does have is a button on the left side of the handle, which in addition to many other things, illuminates a green icon on the speedometer dial. Now the dealer where I purchased the car described this feature as the Hill Start Assist, and that is precisely how it works--i.e., it momentarily brakes the car while on a hill until I can transfer my foot onto the accelarator.

Now the icon which is illuminated on the speedometer dial shows a vehicle going down a slope rather than up. That struck me as kinda of odd, as well the behaviour of the car while driving with this feature engaged. So I look in the owner's manual only to learn that this button is not suppose to engage the Hill Start Assist, but rather the Grade Assist/ Overdrive Cancellation feature. This seem to be more consistent with the icon shown as well as the behaviour of the car (i.e., downshifting).

But what's confusing is that the owner's maual describes the Hill Start Assist feature as automatically activated based on degree of slope and shows a different Icon altogether. At least on my particular trim level, it would appear the same button and same Icon apply to both feature sets and that there is no selectable activation of the Hill Start Assist in the Instrument Menu.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hill-holder brake feature is always on, no switch needed.
Hmmn--must be automatic on a titanium. Does your HSA work on any hill or just ones of a certain grade? On my model or perhaps just my car, you do have to activate the grade assist button, which your trim level definately does not have (since you have selectshift in its place) in order for the HSA to work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmmn--must be automatic on a titanium. Does your HSA work on any hill or just ones of a certain grade? On my model or perhaps just my car, you do have to activate the grade assist button, which your trim level definately does not have (since you have selectshift in its place) in order for the HSA to work.
Hill Start Assist and Grade Assist are two totally different things.

Hill Start assist only works if you at a complete stop. This is what triggers it, and no buttons need to be pushed, etc. You have to be on a hill of a certain degree, but I can't recall the amount off the top of my head.

Grade Assist is located on some cars exactly where the OP said...on the side of the shifter if it doesn't have Select Shift. Pressing this button actives Grade Assist, and is helpful in going down steep grades.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hill Start Assist and Grade Assist are two totally different things.

Hill Start assist only works if you at a complete stop. This is what triggers it, and no buttons need to be pushed, etc. You have to be on a hill of a certain degree, but I can't recall the amount off the top of my head.

Grade Assist is located on some cars exactly where the OP said...on the side of the shifter if it doesn't have Select Shift. Pressing this button actives Grade Assist, and is helpful in going down steep grades.
I'd say the grade required would probably be in the 30-40 degree range. Seems to have to be on a semi-steep hill to turn on, but it definitely is nice. I've driven stick all my life so I bought this car as a spout of laziness (get sick of not being able to easily drink things in the city traffic I'm constantly engaged in). The hill start feature is wonderful. Once stopped you can basically just take your foot off the brake until ready to go. I wouldn't recommend that (just in case it lets go), but it's still a nice feature to have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd say the grade required would probably be in the 30-40 degree range. Seems to have to be on a semi-steep hill to turn on, but it definitely is nice. I've driven stick all my life so I bought this car as a spout of laziness (get sick of not being able to easily drink things in the city traffic I'm constantly engaged in). The hill start feature is wonderful. Once stopped you can basically just take your foot off the brake until ready to go. I wouldn't recommend that (just in case it lets go), but it's still a nice feature to have.
The hill assist works on our Ti on a pretty shallow grade, like 15 degrees or so. Come to a complete stop with foot on the break, move foot from break to eccelerator and the break stays on for I think 3 seconds or untill vehicle begins to move in desired direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts