Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a message that says "Hill Start Assist Not Available" every time I start the car accompanied by a warning light of a car with squiggly lines beneath it and an amber exclamation point under the fuel and engine temperature gauges. In the Driver Assist menu I do not even have an option for Hill Start Assist. (I also cannot turn off Traction Ctrl. Anytime I try to disable it, the check mark comes back a second later. Not sure if this is related.)

Some background on the cars repair history. Previous owner had clutches/input seal done 3 years ago and the TCM replaced 2 years ago, both under warranty. The car was in an accident and declared totaled by their insurance company. Cue me buying it at an auction and my dad and I putting it back together.

Upon the first startup after repairs, there was an ABS light on until I drove a few hundred feet down the road. It went away and has never come back. My dad’s code reader read that there was a stored code for the driver’s side front wheel speed sensor but after clearing the code it has not come back.

I’m leaning towards the wheel speed sensor but I’d like some advice and input before I start throwing money at this problem. I don’t really care that the Hill Start Assist doesn’t work but the warning light is driving me nuts every time I start the car and if there’s an issue with the ABS I’d like to fix it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These are to only codes I was able to pull with my dad's reader. They came up when I ran the ABS codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Neither of those codes can be caused by a wheel speed sensor. There is nothing YOU can do to fix the problem. You need to take the car to a Ford dealer and ask them to perform the IVD initialization procedure.

C0061:54 Lateral Acceleration Sensor: Missing Calibration

This DTC sets if the stability sensors in the RCM have not been calibrated or the calibration has been lost. CARRY OUT the IVD Initialization procedure, FOLLOW the diagnostic scan tool instructions.

If the module fails the initialization procedure, VERIFY the RCM is installed correctly and that the fasteners are tightened to specifications. REINSTALL or INSTALL new as necessary.
REFER to: Restraints Control Module (RCM) (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System, Removal and Installation).
If the RCM is OK, CARRY OUT the RCM self-test. RETRIEVE and RECORD any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: Airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) - Vehicles With: First and Second Row Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) With Driver Knee Airbag (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System, Diagnosis and Testing).

If the module passes the initialization procedure, CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). CYCLE the ignition from ON to OFF and back to ON. CARRY OUT the ABS module self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new ABS module and HCU assembly.
REFER to: Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) (206-09 Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control, Removal and Installation).

C0062:54 Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor: Missing Calibration

This DTC sets if the stability sensors in the RCM have not been calibrated or the calibration has been lost. CARRY OUT the IVD Initialization procedure, FOLLOW the diagnostic scan tool instructions.

If the module fails the initialization procedure, VERIFY the RCM is installed correctly and that the fasteners are tightened to specifications. REINSTALL or INSTALL new as necessary.
REFER to: Restraints Control Module (RCM) (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System, Removal and Installation).
If the RCM is OK, CARRY OUT the RCM self-test. RETRIEVE and RECORD any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: Airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) - Vehicles With: First and Second Row Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) With Driver Knee Airbag (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System, Diagnosis and Testing).

If the module passes the initialization procedure, CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). CYCLE the ignition from ON to OFF and back to ON. CARRY OUT the ABS module self-test. If the DTC returns, INSTALL a new ABS module and HCU assembly.
REFER to: Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) (206-09 Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control, Removal and Installation).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So even if I get a modified ELM237 and use ForScan I still can't fix this issue? I really don't want to take my car to the dealer if I can help it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You are missing a flashable calibration file on the RCM

There is nothing you can do.

BTW the RCM is the Airbag/IMU Module. Don't **** with it yourself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, thanks for the advise.

I'll probably have them flash it when I bring it in to have the door latch recall done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this blog article talk about Ford Mustang Hill Start Assist Not Available.
Although the vehicle is Ford Mustang,but it will suggest some prompt on this trouble.
I wanna post the article link here,but i have not permission to post link here,so give the short home page link,you just need to search it.
car-auto-repair.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is doing this exact same thing now. Also shifting funny, revs to almost 5 grand in 1st gear b4 it shifts. Have an appt for next Thursday to take it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am having the same issue on my Ford Focus 2012(@14SilverSE), and the workshop I use do not have a clue on how to fix this issue. Did your visit to your workshop fix it for you? Best regards Ford enthusiast in Norway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hillstart Assist

I just purchased a 2018 Lincoln MKX. I've had it less than a month. Every time I drive it, I get a warning alert saying Hillstart Assist is not available.
I finally took it back to the dealer and was told they could find no issue and could not reproduce the issue. After some questioning on my part, the mechanic finally tells me they did find an error which indicates I am keeping my foot on the break for more than 6 minutes at a time. (No Way!!) I explained this is happening EVERY time I drive the car which is mostly to and from work (7 miles). I asked if they checked the sensor which was reporting the code about braking for more than 6 minutes. He would never give a direct answer. The conversation ended with him telling me to bring it back if the problem continues.
The problem has continued as it had before. However now I am super aware of how I use the brake (NOT 6 minutes). I have found the alert comes on less than 5 minutes after starting the car (which destroys his 6 minute braking excuse.)
Has anyone else seen this issue? Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well one this is a Ford Focus site. I have a Ford Fiesta ST that has Hill assist I can turn it off in the settings. You may be better off signing up for a Lincoln forum.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question Hill Assist

My 2012 Ford Focus has Hill Assist light, ABS light, Traction control light and speedometer not working. It is not throwing any codes. Tried the disconnecting of the battery and that did not work. Hate taking to a dealer without any codes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2012 Ford Focus has Hill Assist light, ABS light, Traction control light and speedometer not working. It is not throwing any codes. Tried the disconnecting of the battery and that did not work. Hate taking to a dealer without any codes.
Did you change anything around with bearings, sensors or ABS sensor wires? Did you recently have any really hard bumps or lateral hits on the wheels?
I had the same symptomsyou described after hitting a concrete barrier. In my instance the front knuckle was warped slightly enough to not allow the abs sensor to read the tone ring on the bearing. (Did you hit something)
The bearing could also be backwards if you recently replaced it. (Did you replace one or more)
Check your wires if you recently did a brake change, the sensor wire could be damaged in some way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had and still have this exact problem along with another that just showed up. But when I took my vehicle to Future Ford, they told me they couldn’t find the source of the problem for the ABS light, TC light, and hillstart assist unavailable. They tried replacing a hub I believe (it was a while back so I’m not certain if that was the part) but it was expensive and they did absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just a start point, seems there is a problem with the abs

Traction/stability and hill assist all run through abs, if you don't have one, you will not have the other 3

Forscan has a half dozen reset, initialization, and calibration service procedures for abs alone.

If you are comfortable with the deep workings of your car you can run through these, otherwise you will need to have a competent shop fix it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts