Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just got my car back from Ford because of a no start problem. They replaced the starter, ignition housing assembly ignition cylinder and reflashed the TCM... But the startup is still VERY delayed and now I'm getting a notification saying hill assist not available. Anybody else experiencing this?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds like they chased the wrong problems and you have a TCM fault.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
All I know for CERTAIN is that a no-start and hill start assist or parking assist faults when combined are symptoms that usually seem to require a TCM replacement for a cure.

The TCM needs to shift the trans properly to get it into position for cranking (pre-start routine, occurs when the car door is opened), and it this doesn't occur properly the car won't start.

TCM is not just a computer module, it also includes TWO actuators/sensors that do the actual transmission shifting.

A "reflash" to update software in the TCM won't necessarily cure any electronic faults (though they may show at that time) and it def. won't cure any mechanical faults with the actuators/sensors.

These cars run an automated starting sequence that's only INITIATED by turning the key to start, unlike all prev. versions where the key position actually controlled the starter. This works the same whether it's a key operated system or the push button type.

I've seen multiple reports here of starting problems that were first guessed as starter or key switch issues, as you might guess on an earlier model that's directly controlled by the switch. Many times that didn't solve the issue, as the more complicated starting system was involved. Think of it as similar to the safety interlocks with prev. automatics where everything has to be in the right position before it will crank.

IF you didn't have the hill start assist warning, there might be other possibilities. That's the key factor that made me comment on the TCM as a likely cause.

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
The hill assist actually goes through the ABS and brake system , it holds the breaks on for 2 +/- seconds then releases giving you the chance to be on the throttle and off the clutch
I dont thin hill assist comes on a DCT tho , more then likely did a incorrect update

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's a thread with more references to hill start assist and the parking assist warnings related to TCM issues & starting:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/509369-parking-aid-malfunction-light-starting-problems.html?highlight=roll+back

Hill start assist was added to DCT types as well, and they can actually roll back if the brake wasn't applied firmly enough to set that system before taking your foot off to move again.

Post #21 looks closest to the OP's situation here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP here. The car has been in the shop for over a month. I got it out today and its sitting in the driveway dead... So I called my service tech and told him it isn't starting. Best bet is to try and get it started and take it to ford, if not tow... But this is the second dealer I've gone through. The last one replaced and reflashed all of the above I've listed before. And all of which didn't work so they were going to try the BCM next. But my warranty was threatening me saying that if the bcm doesn't fix it, I have to pay for the 900 dollar part... So I'm in a bind here..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also: might I add that when my friend and I were tinkering and examining the car, we noticed when we hold the key forward to try and start it, the check engine light flashes 8 times... Oh I miss my old dodge pick up where I could flick the key 3 times and read the codes...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BCM (Body control module) is a total WAG (wild ass guess) IMHO.

Don't know of any reason for it to be involved, and never heard of it in relation to starting the car.

TCM on the other hand (transmission control module) has been mentioned already, and all the work done so far is proven a waste since it didn't change the situation.

IDK what kind of warranty company you're dealing with, they should be fighting it out with the shops over what was paid for and didn't solve the problem - not with you over MORE repairs until it works.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Drivers used to std. automatics expect the trans to hold it on a hill, at least long enough to move their foot from brake to gas pedals.

That doesn't happen the same way with the DCT automated manual, unless the hill assist is used.

Not being a manual, they could drive with two feet easily, but few have ever tried that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have no idea how i manage driving a manual trans. I must be crashing into everyone behind me! lel

too many stupid assists on vehicles, people dont even know how to do a damn thing anymore.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, but don't forget that Ford sold the DCT without telling anyone it was different, or how to drive it.

Even WITH the "hill start assist" it'll roll back on a hill if they don't step on the brake firmly enough when stopping. Quite a surprise when that happens unexpectedly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Preaching to the choir for many members here, but remember that these were NOT advertised as being "different" - advertising claimed faster & smoother shifting with no mention of actual differences.

There hasn't been such a major change in types avail. since before most alive today were born, at the introduction of the automatic transmission.

Anything else odd has been advertised as such, from genuinely different like automatic stick shift to ones that don't "feel" quite as different like the CVT's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: just dropped the car off at ford...again. They are going to look further into the problem. I explained everything to the guy, I was able to start the car at home but couldn't start the car at the dealer. Told him what y'all said with the actuators and what not. I

Also I drove a 96 powerstroke manual without a hill assist. All about timing ;p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Update: just dropped the car off at ford...again. They are going to look further into the problem. I explained everything to the guy, I was able to start the car at home but couldn't start the car at the dealer. Told him what y'all said with the actuators and what not. I

Also I drove a 96 powerstroke manual without a hill assist. All about timing ;p
Mention this TSB to your dealer in case this has never been done to your car:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7KYDK8tigidWlVISWhIT1Bad3c&usp=sharing

I don't think the DCT is the only module that can cause the "Hill start assist" message to appear, it like Tom said it is related to the ABS system as well so wiring problems or other modules could cause it to appear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine started this 3 days ago dismissed it as being just an anomaly but then yesterday done it again and now today same thing no start but when it does says hill assistant not available then yesterday when it did start while running it like almost shut down and then message said normal mode 2013 w/ 52,000 miles what should I do and what do I tell ford if they try not to warranty it under the extended warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts