Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of curiosity who put the most miles on an spi before dropping a valve seat.
post your mileage and whether or not youve dropped a seat. so far i have right under 100k and shes still running strong[driving]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I got to 216 thousand the it happen

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 03 SPI is now at 133k miles. Runs great! Hope to get close to 200k before she drops a valve seat. Anyone know of a good head shop in the south Chicago area? Love my SPI [woot]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive got around 150K but have heard of the CVH getting around 300K before they are ded. Not d. e. a. d. but just ded. These are good engines hence why Ford used them for dang near 25 years.

You have to remember, they drop valve seats from the head expanding quicker than the seat. So...

1: Dont rev/abuse it when its warming up. Just sit for a minute or two and let the engine warm up before you go anywhere, the extra $.05 in fuel is worth being stranded trust me. ;)
2: Make sure your cooling system is good
3: Don't over heat it
4: Don't bang the rev limiter
5: Make sure she isn't running lean and you're golden.

A lot of don'ts but thats how they live :D

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
i think that is why mine blew... doing 2nd gear pulls all day hitting the rev limiter. hhahahahaha

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ive got around 150K but have heard of the CVH getting around 300K before they are ded. Not d. e. a. d. but just ded. These are good engines hence why Ford used them for dang near 25 years.

You have to remember, they drop valve seats from the head expanding quicker than the seat. So...

1: Dont rev/abuse it when its warming up. Just sit for a minute or two and let the engine warm up before you go anywhere, the extra $.05 in fuel is worth being stranded trust me. ;)
2: Make sure your cooling system is good
3: Don't over heat it
4: Don't bang the rev limiter
5: Make sure she isn't running lean and you're golden.

A lot of don'ts but thats how they live :D
Dont bang the revv limiter? Id do that all the time if i could find some shitty beat up Focus SPI for cheap. I hated my 02 Focus SPI...Zetec FTW.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
This post is just going to jinx everyone who replys.

I have to say though 216K is good with any engine.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Still...... KL ftw.

the um, slightly more involved solution to an SPI is to swap in a v8 [hihi]

^^ no kidding though. glad mine dropped (wait I am? no...not really) before this thread came up.

edit: JOE.... yeah just don't even say anything [rofl]

·
Registered
245 Posts
No not really. I don't have a working one...

Really it's the intent to just be an ass. No need for it.
i was joking bro lol. you still didnt get yours going? wow. i gave up on mine ages ago and sold it off...im pretty sure the guy i sold it to gave up on it too and sent it off to a junkyard. shame cuz that car was in really good shape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
163k on mine when I pulled it. She was running still but I wasn't waiting to find out for how much longer.

I love my Zetec that I put in. So glad I did the swap.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
i was joking bro lol. you still didnt get yours going? wow. i gave up on mine ages ago and sold it off...im pretty sure the guy i sold it to gave up on it too and sent it off to a junkyard. shame cuz that car was in really good shape.
Still looked like it anyway. lol.

Nah it probably weighs under 2000lbs right now. cleared almost everything out of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts