Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about getting higher wattage fog bulbs, the ones that bat sells, i am a little afraid though, i hav already fried my headlight wiring by using a slightly higher wattage bulb in there, and i dont want to make the same mistake twice, any suggestions

·
Registered
126 Posts
You most likely will not fry your stock wiring if moving from a stock 37 watt (I think) bulb up to say, a 55 watt bulb (I'm running 55W H3's in my GLASS housings, with the stock wiring) but you WILL most likely ruin your stock plastic foglight housings. If you want better foglights, check out this thread.

Click Here

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
what type of bulb does the focus use in the headlights, cuz i want some new ones-brighter and all

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Stock bulbs are HB2/9003.
The SilverStars are nice but will cost you about $40-50 a pair and are within the stock wattage range. If you get some of those aftermarket bulbs rated at 100watts, good luck because you might burn up your wires and headlight.
Sylvania Silverstar Website

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Stock is an H4/9003 high/low headlight beam. 55W/60W anything higher on the stock wiring setup will cause meltage, potentially fire, and a whole buttload of other problems. You can get a different wiring harness and run higher wattage, but then you run the risk of melting the plastic light housing. It's all in all a pain in the ass. SilverStars are nice, I have the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X, they are nice also but a bit more expensive. NOTE: Both the SilverStars and the PIAA bulbs are likely to burn out faster than stock due to the higher burning temperature of the filament.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
this may seem funny.. but looking in pep boys in fla, i saw that 3A racing makes high wattage standing wiring harness. you just clip off the stop female part the bulb goes in to and put on the new one. its alot stronger plastic. take a look to see what im talking about. it can hold those higher headlight wattage bulbs you people use. diffently worth 6 dollars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts