Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sons 2002 Ford Focus Dual cam SE wagon started to get hot and loose coolant.

I've searched the forum and gone to town on the car. Great info up to this point.

Here is the progression of what I have done and the parts I have replaced I would change the parts and test the vehicle. I would go to the test mode on the dash to watch the temp in Celsius:

Upper heater hose do to minor leak.
Replaced the thermostat housing and thermostat (195 degree) do to leaking and not working good.
Replaced the water pump. 85500 miles and figured it wasn't circulating.
Replaced the radiator. had minor damage and anti freeze and some dirt in it.
Oil Filter change (no water in oil)
Replaced the spark plugs.

It has improved somewhat but it still is at the high end of the temp.

Here is the temps its running converted into degrees.
Idle after running for 15 min.: 213 degree
40 mph: 210 degree
At stop after 40 mph: 215 degree
70 mph: 219 degree
As I slow down from 70 mph: 224 degree
At idle after highway speed at lights: 219 degree
Back to 5 miles at 40 mph: 219 degree

Also the heater core has limited flow do to some heat coming out at low fan but at high fan is cools down.

Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If you are considering those temps as high, well, if accurate they are in the normal range I'd bet. The earlier ones routinely run at 220 or so, the low fan doesn't come on until around 220-225. High fan at 235.

The days of 200 or even 180 degree coolant temps are long gone............emissions.

The car should run at those temps all day long and not boil over. The reservoir caps can fray the plastic enough so you think you are getting them tight but they still leak and then the boil over. I've got one car that I have to slightly overtighten the cap with a big wrench after I hand tighten it but it runs all day long with no trouble.

To be right you must absolutely have no leaks in the system. With 9 freakin' hoses these can be very problematic there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooops, I forgot. I also replaced the water tank cap.

Thanks for the Info. Tonight, I came up with a laser thermometer. I think the sending unit must be a little off, Because just about all of the numbers I got with the laser compared to the gauge was about 20 degrees off. Now I have to fine the sender location. Others have said it's located on the passenger side end of the engine but I can't find the stupid thing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Passenger side back, hidden a bit by alternator is the best description I've seen.

"CHT" type (cylinder head temp) not water temp..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts