Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High-pitched whine coming from the engine when idling?

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Iggmasta 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Lately when I start my car, I begin to hear a constant high-pitched whine after a few seconds. It sort of starts low and builds up to a high whine after about 2 seconds. It started a few months ago.

*crank*

wwwwuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhooooOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Something like that.

Anyway, I don't really hear it much when I'm driving, but when I'm idling it can get pretty annoying. I popped the hood and couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from, it sounds like it's somewhere in the bottom/back of the engine.

Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
it's probably the belt if it is just at idle. you might consider changing it before it snaps and efs up your engine. they are like 10-15 buck at any parts store

#3 ·
It actually does it while driving, I just meant that it's barely noticable with the wind noise and so on.

It didn't really sound like it was coming from the belt, I put my ear really close to it and it sounded like it was coming from somewhere past that.

It's like a humming whine that is constant. I might just take it into the dealer this weekend while the car is under warranty.

#4 ·
Did someone install a supercharger without you noticing?

Yeah if its not the accessory belt, it could be the timing belt, or it could be one of your accessories (AC, PS, Alternator), with a warn out bearing. Dealer should cover it if its under warranty. Good luck.

#6 ·
I just checked the power steering fluid, it's right at the max. I'll just take the car in because it may very well be what you guys are saying. My coworker said it sounded like a fan to him. It's weird. Anyway, I'll take it in and see what happens. :)

Thanks, everyone.

#10 ·
Its your serpentine belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.