Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering getting an SVT focus as I stumbled upon the car and found out it is amazing. It handles great, decent acceleration and looks pretty nice. My only concern is the reliability. Right now I have an infinti g20 which can go 200,000 miles without a single problem. Can I expect this out of the svt? I know that some people had issues with the clutch needing constant replacement but how reliable has it been for you guys? Could I get one with 50 or 60k and count on it every day for the next few years? Does it really matter what year the car is? Is a 2002 any worse than a 2004? Also, can the TSBs still be done on the car free of charge? I know the options are different but from a reliability and mechanical stand point. I would love to join this community so please let me know.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
The SVT is a great car. I've had mine from 13,000 miles to 50,000 now driving to and from detroit even for a year and it has NEVER left me stranded. Yes my clutch did go, after a week of purchase but the previous owner was an ass to this car. Treat it like you want to be treated and you won't have issues. BTW though i don't race or drag launch this car at all. A lot of people complain about relibility but they are also launching off at 3500 rpm at any ricer that looks at them the wrong way. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it is just like any other used car? The previous owner has a heavy influence to the cars next life. But in this case, they really have to know how to drive because of the clutch right?

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2004 SVT is just now approaching 132,000 miles. I kinda forced the dealer to do the clutch TSB at 35,000 miles and I replaced the clutch again at 103,000 miles, only because of the racket it was making. It wasn't slipping at all. I fully plan to drive to 200,000 and beyond. No other complaints.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The clutch can be hit or miss, or so I hear. It is a known fault in the car so it should not be overlooked. I'm new here, too, and based on what I have read I plan on keeping some money aside expecting the clutch to go at some point. I could last a good long while, but most would not expect it to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you come from a high-end Nissan background and are expecting something similar from an SVTF, don't get your hopes up. There are many weak spots in the SVTF, some are unique to the SVT, some are carryovers from the original Focus design. Here are the weaknesses that come to mind:

Ignition switch: very weak, has probably been replaced several times on your 2002. If its not OEM, you're okay. -- All focus - 2005

Thermostat housing: Very poor design, plastic housing with a metal plug that cracks approximately every 20,000 - 30,000 miles. -- Mostly SVTF

Alternator: The focus have weak alternator that fails far more than it should. It is also difficult to R&R. -- All Focus

Transmission: the Getrag six is a nice transmission but it seems to fail more than the standard Focus. It is also quite expensive to replace -- SVTF

Clutch: the original clutch was very poorly designed and failed quickly. The successor was an improvement but also failed quickly. In some instances, the pressure plate would fail catastrophically destroying the transmission. In any case, no parts from the original clutch or the TSB clutch can be used when replacing the clutch, an entire kit must be purchased. The current OEM clutch kit is a bit more expensive than expected and due to the idiosyncrasies of the Getrag transmission is a difficult job. -- SVTF

Wheels: the SVTF stock wheels are fragile and prone to bending -- SVTF.

Brakes: All focus seem to burn through brakes rather quickly although the brakes on the SVTF are superb in performance.

Sensors: The SVTF uses up O2 sensors frequently; although not an expensive fix, it can be annoying.

Having owned an '03 since it was new, I would tend to consider the SVTF more of a hobby car than a DD. The car is fun enough to make most of its troubles worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I don't think anyone has said it yet but it seems you might be misunderstanding a "TSB" it is a technical service bullitin not a recall so it will NOT be FREE or covered unless you have a warranty that will be carrying over, just thought i should add that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's ALL about the driver! I've got an 02 with 130,000km's. Original clutch, tranny, ALL 02 sensors, ignition, alternator, wheels (one with a slight bend), third brake job(thought I would try Powerslots w/Hawk pads), and am just about to do the thermostat now! I've driven quite a few cars in my time and haven't really noticed them to be more reliable, even though I would say the SVTF is a little more finicky. And it does not allow for lazy maintanance intervals, but this is not a everyday econobox, it is a specialty car and ALL specialty cars require TLC. Most of the problems these cars experience is from street racing punks driving the [email protected]#* out of them with no regard for how and why these cars were developed. Keep it clean and well maintained, take it to the track when you want to open it up and you will be a happy SVT owner, just my $.02!

·
Registered
59 Posts
100,249 miles on mine and running strong. Clutch is starting to get the marbles in can sound. Maybe I should also add that my 2002 svtf was previously owned by a race instructor at watkins glenn and has been on the track, so im sure it hasnt had an easy life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so basically if i find one that had a good previous owner I should be fine..I went to look at one today from some no name dealer and it was the fist SVT that i went to drive. This one had problems..It was noisy as hell and it really took away from all of the refinement I had read about the car. Then I did some further inspection and noticed that the grill was a regular grill and there were no orange lights in the grill. I also notice a nice little krinkle in the radiator support so I think that the car was hit and repaired by a cheap repair shop. I really want to drive one that was stock with no accident history but it is hard to find them in my area I guess.

·
bow chicka wow wow
4,051 Posts
i have 93,000 miles on mine.. bought it was 70,000 miles on it.. its a 2004 and have not had any "major" problems.. just normal stuff.. ie valve cover gasket..but thats nothing.

I love mine! 2004 svt ftw! haha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think you guys could help me find a nice svt in the los angeles area? I at least want to see and test drive one that has not been smashed and rebuilt before I make a decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was also just wondering what the warranty was with these cars? What was the powertrain warranty? 5/100k?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think it was 5year / 100k. check out the sale section they got a few nice SVT's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it was 5 year 100k that means an 04 could still be under warranty right? As for finding one, the for sale section has lots of good ones but very far away from me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts