Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First post, please let me know if I'm going wrong with my posts.

Needed a car after many years of car share, bike and transit. After discussion with FIL, realized that there was potential in the Ford Focus, price, ease of DIY servicing and repair, capabilities and fuel consumption.

After a few weeks of scouring the local marketplace, jumped on a screaming deal of a 2007 focus SES wagon, yes, I know, shouldn't have gone in so quickly. Knew it had transmission issues, still have good hopes that a service will bring it back. Car has 248,000 km, say 155,000 miles. I essentially have no service history, may be able to get some, but not very reliable. Generally, it was a car that the whole family drove, but nobody seemed to be concerned with maintenance.

The transmission slips like bald tires on ice, trying to get up to highway speeds has the box shifting down at very low throttle operation, does get up to speed and back into top, eventually, but drops back into lower gear very easily. Lots of "slurring" Will be doing a fluid change with dropping the pan, OBD scanner on the way, depending on what that shows, may replace
solenoid(s)

First question, good idea to replace all the solenoids anyway, no matter what the scan tools shows?

Second question, cam chain not cam belt, (stupidly overlooked the fact that that year had the duratec, not zetec) What signs can I expect if it IS needing replacement?

Have been doing some intense reading, and have several things on my list to take care of, but what sort of things, and in what order, would you be checking, and as necessary fixing, servicing, replacing, so as to make this a dependable vehicle?

All advice gratefully received.

Quick re-cap. Canadian vehicle, 2007 Ford Focus Wagon, SES. 2.0l Duratec, automatic, 248,000km, 155,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had a 2004 wagon with a Zetec engine and automatic tranny
183,000 till a drunk sideswiped parked on a street
I changed oil every 3,000 miles no engine issues at all and I had the tranny at least flushed once as well as the coolant system
No issues at all ... till it was totaled
I would have gotten another wagon except 2007 was the last year
So I got a Transit Connect

My gut feeling is that you need a tranny overhaul or replace the tranny

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Once ATX clutches start slipping good there is NEVER any bringing them back, not solenoids, and not oil change. There is no 'service' there as no bands to adjust. New trans time. Slipping means clutch pack seals or clutches themselves are toast.

I'm at 200K now with my wagon and like 5 fluid changes, trans running fine but I can tell it's getting long in the tooth. The 2-3 cold flare is worse but it locks up solid as a rock as soon as the throttle comes up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts