Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been searching for a 2nd car that's cheap on gas for the drive to work and back. Probably put on 6000km or so a year (less than 4000 miles). I've stumbled onto a 2005 ZX5 5 speed in my hometown for sale for $1,000. The catch? It has been the work vehicle for a traveling photocopier salesman and has 500,000km (310,000+ miles). He's told me he has replaced the alternator, but had no other major repairs/breakdowns. I figure he can be talked down a couple hundred bucks. I'm tempted to take a shot at it.

Any thoughts?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Buy it and slap a new engine and clutch in it. You should be good to go at that point without any worries.

·
Registered
487 Posts
310k sweet jesus yeah its going to need a new engine clutch and probably tranny but hes asking a grand? that seems steep I bought my 03 zx3 with 110k on it for 1700 last year.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i'm sure if the engine has been taken care of it will be fine I have seen many go that far and farther.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am tempted to go have a look. He states that he did oil changes every 5000km for the first 300,000km, and every 8-10,000 for the last 200,000km. Lol, it's had 80 oil changes!

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
I sure hope he's had a timing belt done. Lmao. Otherwise, buy it, and sell it to Ford to put in a museum. That'd be a hell of a timing belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, he insists the only major repair he's done is a new alternator. Still running the original clutch and transmission. In his words, "that's the benefit of all those highway miles, less shifting!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts