Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just bought a 2001 ZX3 with 74,000 miles on it and decided to check out these forums on a couple of issues it has. I've looked and think I know what the issue might be, but wanted to throw this out to you guys for confirmation.

The car idle hangs when shifting, stays high and slowly drops down when you push in the clutch to shift. It sounds like it might be the TPS (as that's been pointed out in many posts). I took it off, looked clean, blew some compressed air through it and there's no change. RPM's still hang high for a second or two before slowly going down.

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track with this! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention the second issue. There's a noise that sounds like its coming from the front driver's side area. I can only here it at low speeds, like driving around a parking lot. The noise only happens during turns, both forward and backwards, and while driving over speed bumps a low speeds...maybe a "clunking" noise of some sort. I don't here it while driving straight or when going more then 10 or 15 mph. Maybe a CV? I looked under there and the boots look good.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yeah, my guess would def. be the cv axles. oh yeah, your prob with the hanging revs is just how foci are from my understanding. the only way that ive heard to get rid of them is to tune for it with the xcal or prp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any idea what a new CV would cost me to have installed? Also, I didn't mention that a couple of times the rev's would hang up there for about 5 seconds or so (2-3K rpms) when coasting or stopping at a light. I don't think the high RPM's are normal in this case.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
there is a thing called the idle drop mod look it up it helps big if you have an auto like me

·
Registered
210 Posts
ok depending on what its doing this may help u with a answer for the idle when u let of the gas does it hang there and start to drop when slowing down then end up at about 1100 when ur stopped if its doing somthing like that the its your tsp throttle postion sensor i just replaced mine again! there like 30 buxs i heard to get them at ford cause when u get them else where they break lesson i learned well i hope this help and you figure it out

·
Registered
324 Posts
another thing that can cause hanging revs is a dirty iacv. these can get sticky and so when the throttle plate is closed, the plate in the iacv is slow to close.. give it a good clean out.. i donno where it is on your american cars... in europe our engines are very different..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok depending on what its doing this may help u with a answer for the idle when u let of the gas does it hang there and start to drop when slowing down then end up at about 1100 when ur stopped if its doing somthing like that the its your tsp throttle postion sensor i just replaced mine again! there like 30 buxs i heard to get them at ford cause when u get them else where they break lesson i learned well i hope this help and you figure it out
Most of the time, this is what it's doing. A few times when I first got it, it would hang at 2,000 rpm's for a few seconds. It seems like the more I drive it, the better it's getting...like it's loosening up. The prior owner didn't drive it ver much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
then id say replace the tsp sensor its really easy to do its on the throttle body follow your intake to it unplug the clip 2 star screws hold it in its a 33 dollar part id get it at ford though may cost more but i went thru 3 already from advanced auto well hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts