Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the timing belt in my 2000 ZTS Zetec dual overhead engine. Now it is idling at around 1000 rpm's instead of the usual 500-700? Is that normal or was maybe something done wrong?

·
Registered
911 Posts
i just replaced mine too this weekend and it jumped up the same as yours. I figured it was ok seeing as how the belt is brand new and much tighter. but thats just my guess.

·
FF Affiliate
30,926 Posts
Clear your Batt for about 15 min and see if that helps any , did you install adj cam gears ? does the power seem to be about the same ?

Tom

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There is nothing about a new timing belt install that should affect the idle speed. Even if the old belt was drastically stretched......

Unless something was done wrong......a vacuum line/hose knocked loose or split would be the most likely suspect. Getting the belt one tooth off might do it.....hard to say. Take it back to whoever did it and complain.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tom's right to clear the Keep alive memory after doing the timing belt.
I just replaced mine and hooked the positive and negative leeds together while doing the work. Got it all done and it idles like a champ (700 on the dot).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^That only means you put the belt on right the first time......not that resetting the computer had anything to do with it. [:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts