Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these add up to more HP and Torque when it comes to exhaust systems? I already have a Borla cat-back exhaust but I'm thinking it's still restrictive when it comes to the cat and flex pipe. Think it's worth the money for these mods?

Paulie[8D]

·
Registered
831 Posts
The low end torque is increased and some minimal power gains in horsepower. The only thing I dont like about all the cat back exhaust that are offered for the SVT all have a resonator.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So far, I don't have any complains about the SVT stock exhaust. Is it worth it to "upgrade" to an aftermarket at all?[???:)]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm with Gwizzy, I think the stock exhaust works fine. In general, bigger exhaust parts only help at high RPM, and can actually worsen performance in the lower/slower range where we drive around on the street.

The only thing I'd change in my SVTF's exhaust is to thermal barrier coat the headers and pipes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually

Dyno tests between a Borla Cat-back exhaust and the SVT's exhaust show results contrary to your beliefs.

From Go to about 2.75 rpm's the SVT's exhaust provides more HP and Torque than the Borla;
From that point on, across the rest of the rev range, the Borla provides more HP and Torque undoubtably.

Also,

Focus Central Long tube headers produce a sizable power gain from 3500 up as compared to SVT Stock headers.

Aftermarket will always be better than stock,

Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cool, at least they tell you up front where the power increase is.

Considering how little driving I do above 3500 RPM, I'll pass. Maybe once the payments and warranty are gone and the wife will let me take it to the track...

In my experience, aftermarket may be best for a specific purpose, but it rarely does as well under all conditions as stock does. You usually have to give something up to get better performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts