Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

New to the forums and have been doing a bit of searching. I want to know if there is a way to add HIDs with DRLs without making them flicker. I have experience installing HIDs in other cars but from what I read it seems almost impossible to disable DRLs.

I should probably mention I am from Ontario, Canada so it is the law to have DRLs here, and I have an 09 SES. Is it possible to wire the fogs to be DRLs? I know they sell the relay harness but is it necessary? I have never had to use this before. I will be using the DDM HIDs which I have had no problems with in the past.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Canadian 2010 Focus SES /w DRL's. I'm running 6000k HIDs in the headlights and foglights. You cannot completely disable DRL's on Canadian Focii, as it's electronically controlled by a chip, not a relay or fuse.

I can tell you how to stop the flickering, but your HID's will be on at ALL TIMES this way.

I have a fused relay harness that connects directly to the battery. It then has 2 9006/9008 plugs to power your ballasts, and another 9006/9008 connector that would go to your stock wiring harness (to turn the lights on and off). Basically, you need to buy (or make your own) an anti-flicker device, which is just a capactior. DRL's these days just pulse a low voltage to the bulb instead of a constant voltage -- HID ballasts do NOT like this. The capacitor saves up those pulses and eliminate the flicker. You need to install the capacitor between the relay harness and the stock wiring harness.

Hope this makes sense! It's been working in my vehicle for over a year now

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
^^^ Never knew that. Great knowledge there

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I have heard about this from doing some reading for my friends 07 mazda 3. You just put a capacitor at the end of the harness by the bulb and that takes away the flickering, but also makes the headlights with HIDs become your DRLs therefore on all the time. Which I'm not a fan of.

Is it not possible to wire the fog lights to be DRLs and when I want to turn the headlights on thats when the HIDs come on?

As for the relay harness you (dbolichowski) are talking about buying or making is that the harness I can get right from DDM thats an add on to the HID kit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I have heard about this from doing some reading for my friends 07 mazda 3. You just put a capacitor at the end of the harness by the bulb and that takes away the flickering, but also makes the headlights with HIDs become your DRLs therefore on all the time. Which I'm not a fan of.

Is it not possible to wire the fog lights to be DRLs and when I want to turn the headlights on thats when the HIDs come on?

As for the relay harness you (dbolichowski) are talking about buying or making is that the harness I can get right from DDM thats an add on to the HID kit?

·
Registered
32 Posts

I've never been a fan of making my own wiring harness. The cost of buying on is so insignificant, I'd rather have a pre-made harness with the right connectors, etc.

You really can't change anything related to your DRL's on these vehicles, unless you're friends with a Ford technician who can re-program the controller for you :p

As for making the DRLs turn on the fogs, It's not really possible since the DRL's are just pulsing a lower voltage across the headlight wiring harness. Plus, bypassing DRL's in Canada is technically illegal anyways. You can probably get around it by hacking your wiring up, but if it doesn't work you'll be left with a mess of wires and zero working lights on the vehicle!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont really want to do any wiring if I can avoid it. I just wired up my buddy's HIDs in his mazda 3 yesterday. Wasnt to hard at all.

So the relay harness thats an option when you order the HIDs from DDM is what I would need to order?

Its to bad the DRLs in these cars are controlled by the ECM. Any other car I've worked on is just simple wiring to change.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to purchase a set of HIDs from DDMtuning.com. I will probably just go with the Raptor full sized kit because its a little cheaper and still has the lifetime warranty.

What else do I need to order to make this work with my DRLs? Is it just the relay harness that they sell? or does anyone have pics or a diagram of a harness they built?

Thanks
Brent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts