Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fashtek.com

Has anyone delt with this place? I am looking for HIDs for my '06 and this price seems too cheap. Does anyone have any feedback? Thanks!

-Brian

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah wow that's not a bad price to make some HID fogs, and i need new fog bulbs, i think i'm going to buy myself a set

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Someone in your area JUST purchased some of these....

I think the name is SLammedZx3WI... andhe lives in West Bend. He's a great guy, PM him and he'll prolly let you take a peek.....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
SuperFocusMan said:
Hid's aint that complicated. Just some higher wattage bulbs and some ballasts.
thats all they are.
another misconception...
Simple by means of components, and installation, Yes.
Technically speaking, they are more complex.

the ballast is required to strike the bulb (initial turn-on), that's where hi-voltage comes into play.

As far is being higher wattage of consistant power. No.
HID bulbs are 35 watts. (typically)

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Someone in your area JUST purchased some of these....

I think the name is SLammedZx3WI... andhe lives in West Bend. He's a great guy, PM him and he'll prolly let you take a peek.....
was that directed at me?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaimz22 said:
was that directed at me?
I think that was directed at me. I always thought HIDs were a lot more $$$ than that. I'm thinking Headlights and fogs and $400 looks like a great price. Maybe I'll order some and do a bit of a write-up on them.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Please do. I've always complained that the stock bulbs aren't good enough for night driving in the mountains anyway.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I always thought HIDs were a lot more $$$ than that.
^^^Yes, they are and for a very good reason.
This "kit" is only a conversion kit to install HIDs into housings designed for halogen bulbs.
They're not legal, and end up scattering light all over the place blinding on-coming drivers
no matter how much you try to tone them down.

Not only is it the bulbs, ballasts, and wiring, but to do it the right (and legal) way, you also need the optics/housing.
See "Mach Audio" or "SVT HID" headlights. Completely different animals.

Note the reply I posted here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1226286&#post1226286

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i think theyd make ok foglights for use when absolutely needed

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Foglights are a different animal...the housings are designed to spread the light out right in front of the car, not far down the road like normal reflector housings. However, if you're going to do HID fogs you should either use a projector housing (like the ST170 lamps) or a housing that has a shield over the bulb (like the SVT/Euro '02 Facelift lamps) to reduce scatter.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i've got a set of mach style HID (optional on SVT's) they have a HUGE optic glass infront of the HID bulb. it is pretty important to have the optics right

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You might be able to get a set of Mach HID housings with no HID bulbs or ballasts installed for cheap...otherwise having a HID housing custom-built for the Focus would probably be more expensive than just getting a set of used (or even new for that matter) Mach HIDs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts