Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea if the HID kits from DDM Tuning are decent? I know everyone really likes TRS, but DDM's pricing is a lot cheaper, IIRC.

For TRS, I would have purchased the H1 mini kit and the equivalent for DDM. The rep from DDM claims that their products are superior (who wouldn't tout their own products) and gave me this link to consider how their version of the TRS mini is better (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152736861369181.1073741835.271745949180&type=3).

What are your guys' impressions of DDM Tuning's products?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I find it funny ddm sells projectors now honestly. Back in the day I don't ever remember them selling projectors but I could be wrong.

Fwiw in my old explorer I had drop in HIDs. They worked fine just looking back wish I woulda retrofitted the headlights but that's neither here nor there

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I struggled with Morimoto bulbs (pink light, inconsistent colors) and ballasts (shutting off). I got rid of all the morimoto stuff (Relays, bulbs, ballasts) and went with Hyluxtek ballasts and supposedly rebased-Philips H1 HID bulbs from XenonDepot. They have been fantastic - I don't even use relays or resistors anymore. The ballasts are directly powered by the car's factory harness.

Of course - this is all after reprogramming the BCM to Alternative HID and disabling Dimmed Dipped Beam

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have had a few DDM 35 watt kits in my Contours for a number of years now. At the time I got two of the more extensive kits and one cheaper one. I had a ballast fail on the cheaper set, the other other have not had any issues ... but I don't drive those two cars a lot.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Why so mad about Morimoto? They're fine!
That's my experience recently. If you check out what people recomend on hid planet, most recomend staying away from all the aftermarket ballasts and sticking with OEM ballasts. Bulbs too.

I'll buy the cheap stuff from now on. I bought an eBay kit as a laugh and the bulbs are exactly the same as far as I can tell. Dc ballasts though which means shorter bulb life.

Ddm uses digital ballasts and most complaints with their stuff is related to the buyer not getting the wiring to connect the 9006 ballast imputs to the factory wiring. That's buyer error for not getting a wiring harness with the kit, its an option.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I struggled with Morimoto bulbs (pink light, inconsistent colors) and ballasts (shutting off). I got rid of all the morimoto stuff (Relays, bulbs, ballasts) and went with Hyluxtek ballasts and supposedly rebased-Philips H1 HID bulbs from XenonDepot. They have been fantastic - I don't even use relays or resistors anymore. The ballasts are directly powered by the car's factory harness.

Of course - this is all after reprogramming the BCM to Alternative HID and disabling Dimmed Dipped Beam
Well, they don't offer hid projector retrofit kit like TRS. :(

I couldn't find the Hyluxtek ballast on their site... only their in-house brand ballast.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
That's my experience recently. If you check out what people recomend on hid planet, most recomend staying away from all the aftermarket ballasts and sticking with OEM ballasts. Bulbs too.

I'll buy the cheap stuff from now on. I bought an eBay kit as a laugh and the bulbs are exactly the same as far as I can tell. Dc ballasts though which means shorter bulb life.

Ddm uses digital ballasts and most complaints with their stuff is related to the buyer not getting the wiring to connect the 9006 ballast imputs to the factory wiring. That's buyer error for not getting a wiring harness with the kit, its an option.
Don't wanna burst your angry bubble against Morimoto, but they are AC output digitally controlled ballast too (3Five & 5Five DSP).
Also OEM ballast like Denso are not waterproof which make mounting in the engine bay challenging.

TL;DR: All products have their pro and cons...and yes even OEM ballasts & bulbs can fail early. (worth the extra 100-200 bucks, meh)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm having a total retro done with the TRS mini h1 6.0 projectors. Hopefully, I'll have them back by late this week. I'll do a review when I get them back in the Focus.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought their Xtreme ballasts, which I read somewhere are re-branded Hyluxtek ballasts. I think there are other resellers that sell them too.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Don't wanna burst your angry bubble against Morimoto, but they are AC output digitally controlled ballast too (3Five & 5Five DSP).
Also OEM ballast like Denso are not waterproof which make mounting in the engine bay challenging.

TL;DR: All products have their pro and cons...and yes even OEM ballasts & bulbs can fail early. (worth the extra 100-200 bucks, meh)
I don't understand why you assume I'm angry. I've bought stuff from them since the first and second/third ballasts went bad. They cost more and aren't higher quality in my expierience. Heat conducting epoxy is cheap and can be added to any ballast that's not waterproof.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm having a total retro done with the TRS mini h1 6.0 projectors. Hopefully, I'll have them back by late this week. I'll do a review when I get them back in the Focus.
Definitely interested in seeing your finished product. I am having a similar retro done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts