Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read about 15 threads and lots of pages and seem more confused

I know I can retrofit the stock lights with morimoto kits from theretrofitsource.com but those run about 270 for h1 and 315 for d2s. Not sure which I need. Then have to change my computer so I knows I have hid I there.

Here's my stuggle. So we are talking about 300+ and a lot of time and a hacked up housing. I've seen pics and heard bad stories of hacking up and not sealing. Also I don't have time to have my car down for a day or so and if I break one even longer

So here is my thought.

I like the d spec tuning with th led in there that alternated when on a blinker and I found them with a Xeon hid kid preinstalled. All plug and play.

$463 only about 130 more and I don't hack them up
http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe12fofol4.html

I like the angel eyes too and only $6 more
http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe20fofoa.html

And even if I sell my stock lights on ebay for $100 im about the same price as a diy

Couple questions.

How good are the spec d tuning projectors. Will they look good and keep the light sharp like they are supposed to. I don't want to blind people

Do they stay sealed or are people having moisture issues?

I don't believe I hav DRL so how can I either turn them on so they led work as that or if I just leave them they will till work with my non DRL car

Any advice, suggestions etc would be great.
Thanks
Lunchbucket

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the first set of Spec-D projectors you listed (the ones with the led strip) with a Morimoto HID kit installed. The headlights themselves are pretty good, but I have some issues with this setup. First off, the projectors are not designed for an HID light so they will not put out an even light pattern or the best output than if they were in a HID projector (I knew this when I bought the headlights and HIDs). Also where the bulb goes into the back of the headlight is designed so the HID bulb can only go in one way, and the bulbs don't really fit all that well in them either. (HID bulbs from what I've heard are supposed to be mounted with the ground/electrode bar on the bottom, but I was only able to install them with the bar on the sides). As far as the cut off goes, it's hideous, but it doesn't really throw light above the cutoff line. I haven't had anybody flash their brights at me yet so there shouldn't be any galre issues to worry about.

Here's a pic of the hideous cutoff[facepalm]. I honestly did not think it would be this bad. You'll notice the uneven light output and the hotspots towards the center. The cutoff is pretty sharp, but those two "dips" in the cutoff line are shadows from the HID bulbs, they get less noticable the farther away the car is from the garage door. Maybe getting the bulbs mounted right will take care of those? And yes, I know they're not aimed right in the pic, that has been taken care of.

So here is my overall opinion. Am I satisfied with the setup? For the most part, yeah. The output still seems to be better than the factory halogens but can obviously be better. Will you get a clean cutoff/even output? No, not without modifications at least. Will you blind people? No, not if you aim the lights correctly. I've had the headlights for about a month now with no moisture issues. There's right and wrong ways to do HIDs, doing what I did is half-assed at best, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the comments and feedback

So a couple thoughts or questions

1. Are yours a fluke or are others posting the same spread and cutoff

2. Knowing what you know now what would you have boughten or would you have boughten the same

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're welcome...
Iv'e seen one other example of the issue with the cutoff posted on here before. Look at the pics in post #10 on the first page of this thread here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466721 If you look close he has a similar issue with the cutoff with HIDs as I do, but nowhere near as bad. You can just barely see the shadows from the bulbs. I'm thinking he got the bulbs mounted better than I did. I've been waiting for a somewhat warmer day to take my headlights back out to see if I can get my bulbs mounted correctly, as I said mine only went in one way and didn't fit too well.

To answer your second question, If i can get the issues with my cutoff taken care of, then yes. This in my opinion seems like it could be a cheaper alternative to a retrofit. Sure the output isn't as great or as even as it can be with HID projectors and there is no blinding glare for other traffic, but I just didn't feel comfortable tearing into my headlights, and I didn't have the cash to pay someone to do so either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like people tearing into them we're ending up with hacked up cases. And a morimoto hid kit is about 300. And if I can sell my stock headlights for 100 the cost gets even closer to a retro price if I do the spec d ones

Just don't want them to look like crap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts