Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else get static on there radio when there HID's are on...and if so how to i get rid of it?

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
hmm thats strange....well it could be that the ballast maybe needs to be relocated, just move some stuff around and see. do u have an aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
This sometimes happens with aftermarket ballasts. They are typically poor quality and can give off lots of interference.

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is also just more common with aftermarket head units. They pick up interference way easier than a stock one. You could try getting some waterproofing like they sell for when you put an aftermarket head unit in your boar. It helps on blocking the interference. Its just like a film type sticker thing that goes on your head unit.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
its weird lol xD i have 2 sets of hids turned on all the time and i get no static at all, I also sell hid kits and i havent heard of this

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it was just a kit from e-bay...skikid89 I'm not sure i understand how this would help because my antenna will still pick up the frequency or whatever it is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The way I had it explained to me was this. You can get electronic static through more than just your antenna. It can actually be coming from the electronics inside the head unit. This is why your always supposed to run signal wires and power wires down different sides of the car. Mine was more from the motor. You could hear it change pitch as the motor changed RPM.

I asked our local stereo "installer" what would cause this and that is what he told me. I can't say I have scientific proof.

He told me to try the whole water proofing strip trick and to try to ground the case of the CD player to the car.

Before I got around to doing that I put in a whole new head unit (birthday present yay!) and this new kenwood does not have the interference problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm yea i will ask the guy that sold me the harnes to see if he knows any thing about it. Thanks!!!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
i was reading a little more and yes i found out that some hid systems can do what you described, so dont think it is a failure, just something that happens

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i get this all the time and it sucks. i have 2 sets on mine to and can barely listen to my fav. station

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
focus kid -

feel free to get ahold of me sometime and we can meet up somewhere to take a look at it. sounds like bad grounding or location of the ballast.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cbrenn71..for sure I'll let you know when my next day off is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts