Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HID Retrofit in progress with pics (update on page 9)

This all started with the purchase of some projector head lights from Cosmo Dynamic. I've wanted to upgrade my stock head lights for some time now due to a bad condensation problem and a large crack on my driver side. After some searching I decided to purchase these.

Upon receiving these I was very anxious to install them. I wanted to use a Plug and play HID kit that I had purchased on ebay awhile back as well. I actually posted a thread about not being able to get the bulbs into the halogen housings. Some people said to file the opening up a little to get the bulbs installed but I was still having problems. So I decided to just install the head lights using the halogen bulbs. The results were not what I had hoped for. The cut off line was ok at best and the light throw was rather dismal. I drove with these for one day and the next day I immediately removed them and re-installed my factory lights. That's when I decided that I wanted to do a retrofit. So it started. I bought a set of HID projectors, ballasts, and bulbs. Everything I needed. Actually I'm still waiting on a few parts as I write this.

OEM HID Projectors from an Audi

Ballasts from a Cadillac (Still waiting on these, should be here tomorrow)

6000k D1S HID bulbs. (These should be here in a day or two)

I started with opening up the head lights.

Preheating the oven

I let the headlights bake at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Here's the headlight opened up.

Removing the halogen projector

Right now the HID projectors are at my work. We're making a custom bracket so we can mount the new projector exactly the same way as the old one. This way we'll have the same adjustability. These should be done tomorrow and I'll be able to get these mounted and back together.

Many more pics and info to come soon... Please be patient. I welcome all comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope to have everything finished and installed by this weekend.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Nice work man. Hope it turns out like you want it to.
I've got those same headlights with 6000k HID's in them,
but I actually bought them with the HID's pre-installed.
The light throw and cutoff is awsome, I just had to aim them.
Since I aimed them, I have been extremely impressed with everything about them.
I bet yours will turn out good as well. Looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost so far is $160 for the head lights, $100 for the projectors, $150 for the ballasts, and $100 for the bulbs. Figure just over $500 in parts. This of course will be true OEM HID lighting though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
wow, i defently want those headlights, but i had no idea how money would have to go into it to make it HID compatable. Couldnt you just take the hid's and all that stuff from the MACH's?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Does the audi projectors bolt right up to were the old ones were or did you have to make it fit? Bc im going to do this to mine

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
looks like a good project, I want to do something like this but I don't like how the ebay projectors look with the LEDs and halos and all that, plus I love the look of my ST170s

an interesting project would be to crack open the ebay lights and remove the LEDs and halos then put good projectors and HIDs into them. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, but by the time you buy everything and spend all the time doing it you might as well just buy MACHs and spend the small amount of time to paint them

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the audi projectors bolt right up to were the old ones were or did you have to make it fit? Bc im going to do this to mine
The projectors are very close to fitting. I'm making some custom brackets tomorrow morning at work so I can bolt them up to the existing mounting points in the headlights. This way they can be adjusted properly if needed.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
good work, these should look nice when finished.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
no no i think you miss understood me, I guess what i shoulda said was.....

I already have OEM HIDs in my svt.. Can i take those... and put them in those exact headlights... Like a Transplant.

·
Registered
537 Posts
^ ya, but you'd have to do some fab work.

why would you want to trade down from the machs? is there something wrong w/them?

(i'm assuming you said put the mach's projectors in those headlights...)

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Looks really good so far. keep us posted.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brackets are 99% done today. Just have to drill a few small holes on each one to mount them to the projector. Will have more pics tomorrow. Should have everything sealed up, mounted and pics of light throw and cut-off friday night or saturday.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Wow, did You do this the hard way, or what? I have the same headlights, and with a very little bit of research, I bought an HID kit with H1 bulbs. No issues, so far...
I like the idea, though, just seems like more work than necessary, IMHO. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! [thumb]

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, did You do this the hard way, or what? I have the same headlights, and with a very little bit of research, I bought an HID kit with H1 bulbs. No issues, so far...
I like the idea, though, just seems like more work than necessary, IMHO. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! [thumb]
The advantage is I will have OEM quality HID lighting with a sharp cut-off line and significantly more usable light then with the halogen projectors. The junyan projectors that came with the lights originally were pretty bad in my opinion. I'll be using all factory components which always function better.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts