Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my svt has "hid" bulbs in the headlights I dont know for sure but i was told that in order to get like 8k or 10k hid's then all i need is the bulbs. because "supposedly" there are ballast that are built in the headlight assembly somewhere. im not sure if i trust this. so i figued i would ask the forum if i would need just bulbs or woill i need ballasts also.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, all you need are bulbs. I am not sure if the Mach headlights use D2R bulbs or D2S though.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Exterior Body & Lighting Chat".

The factory SVT HIDs take D2S bulbs.

You do realize, you'll be losing a substantial amount of light output if you swap to that high of a color temperature.
The stock 4,000K is about as good as it gets.

I realize, it's probably the bluer color you're after, but don't forget that you won't be lighting the road as well.
There's some good reading on this site:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I would go with 6,000k

and you have to you d2s bulbs

and yes the ballast is under the headlight assembly.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
i would stick with stock...they are the best...far better then any aftermarket

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I hope everyone realizes that in throw and night performance MOST 5000-6000k aftermarket are the closest and most resembling to a 4300k sotck bulb. Just s though. Though in the lens of the housing they look prettier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is no way! I used to have 10k lights on my old car (eclipse) and they were rediculously bright. not even comparable to my stock SVT lights. I mean the stock SVT lights are blue, but deffinatly not bright.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ Bright in a matter of color yes.

I can honestly tell you that 10000k will never ever produce as much light as the stock SVT or even a 6000k replacement. Because of the amount of color produced in a 10000k bulb setup it's about the lumens. Or the amount of visible lights the HID produces. 4300k HID's actually produce the most amount of visible and useable light in a headlight.

I had 8000k in my focus for a while. After which i switch to a pure white 6000k. You can tell the difference no question. The higher the kelvin the more color the less visible light.,

And that's science. No matter what you think or read a 6000k replacement will provide the most amount of light and look the most asthetically pleasing without sacrificing performance.

It's up to you. They are your headlights. But be prepared to lose night and poor weather condition (rain, snow, etc.) performance and visibility.

·
Registered
301 Posts
definitely want to go with Philips or Osram 4300k for light output. anything else is simply color preference. you will lose output past 6000k.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ The ones you said Are stock lights.

I think he wants a bit of color in which case i Vote a 55watt kit conversion to 6000k. Get ready to tan at night lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
do you just swap out the ballasts and bulbs for the 55w kit? also, what kit do you recommend? i replaced my bulbs with Osram 4300k, which i really like, but who wouldn't like more output!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
CLICK HERE!!!

you just need the trigger wires from the existing wiring harness that is withing the housing. put a hole in the back cover for the HID harness and voila!

RPM's bulbs to not have the ignitor on the back of the D2S bulbs like OEM does. its just a pigtail..
i verified this on the phone yesterday

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I wouldn't think the wiring would be too terribly hard to manage. Looks like RPM has it going on.

Should be a fairly easy install and swap and well worth it. I want to switch to a 55watt HID setup in my retro fits. AS my stock wattage is 55 and mine are currently 35 watt.....

Time to start looking.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
^^who/what are you talking about?

if you are referring to RPM being to high prices...go check out our vendors. you will change your statement.

Rpm has quality stuff for a great price. end of story.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ I agree, amazing price and most 55 watt stuff is pretty pricey as it;s built a little more rugged for the use it is.

I saw RPM's price and couldnt be more shocked they are letting them go that cheap. 55watt soon for this kid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts